Saina Nehwal spreads family planning messageJuly 11th, 2010 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 11 (IANS) Badminton star Saina Nehwal joined 3,000 schooldchildren to spread the message of family planning through a run organised here Sunday to mark the World Population Day.
Nehwal led children from various city schools as they ran from Vijay Chowk to India Gate in central Delhi for creating awareness about population stabilization and family planning.
Talking about the need for family planning, the guest of honour and Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said: “There is a need for small families as resources are limited and uncontrolled population may result in slower development.”
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi Azad, who flagged off the run, stressed on girls’ education and strict implementation of laws on the minimum marriage age.
“Population stabilization is extremely important as India has a share of 17 percent of the world’s population while it has to manage with only 2.5 percent of global land,” he said.
“A craving for male child and delayed first child without proper spacing are few of the problems which need to be dealt with seriously,” Azad added.
The run was organised by Jansankhya Sthirata Kosh (population stabilization fund) in collaboration with the Delhi Government. The theme of this year’s World Population Day is “Everyone Counts”.
Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare S. Gandhiselvan, Delhi’s Health Minister Kiran Walia and Education Minister Arvinder Singh were also attended the function.
- Walkathon spreads awareness on World Population Day - Jul 11, 2012
- Azad to flag off World Population Day run - Jul 09, 2010
- Thousands run in New Delhi to spread awareness on population - Jul 11, 2010
- More role for women in population policy: Experts - Jul 10, 2012
- Population Stabilisation Fund call centre: a friend in need for sexual health care - Sep 18, 2009
- Toll free answers to pregnancy or puberty queries - Nov 15, 2009
- 'India to work for removal of taboos around family planning' - Jun 09, 2012
- Delhi to strengthen rules against female foeticide: Dikshit - Jul 11, 2011
- Ayurveda, unani to be promoted through rural health scheme - Feb 10, 2012
- Government to launch diabetes check for slum population - Nov 12, 2010
- 80 Ayurveda colleges denied permission to admit students - Aug 24, 2012
- No child can be denied admission: Dikshit - Sep 30, 2011
- Disseminating birth control information: Azad - Nov 14, 2010
- Four state-owned Delhi hospitals get accreditation - Feb 10, 2012
- Indian systems of medicine to be mainstreamed - Apr 09, 2010
Tags: age population, central delhi, chowk, delhi government, education minister, family welfare, ghulam nabi azad, girls education, global land, guest of honour, india gate, marriage age, minister of health, population stabilization, saina nehwal, sheila dikshit, stabilization fund, union minister, walia, world population day