Russia witnesses 10 percent rise in HIV cases in 2011December 1st, 2011 - 3:24 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Dec 1 (IANS) Russia has witnessed a rise in the number of HIV cases in 2011 in comparison to the cases recorded during corresponding period last year.
Russia registered 48,363 new cases of HIV infection from January to October; almost 10 percent more than recorded during the same period last year, Xinhua quoted health officials as saying Wednesday.
Vadim Pokrovsky, chief of the Russian federal AIDS research centre, said new HIV infection cases in Russia might top 62,000 by the year-end.
The country’s highest infection rate was registered in the Irkutsk region, where 1.3 percent of the population were HIV-infected, said Pokrovsky, adding that the situation in the Samara and Leningrad regions and the Khanty-Mansi autonomous area were also serious.
Irkutsk region is located in the southern part of Eastern Siberia. While Samara is Russia’s sixth largest city and Leningrad is a federal subject of the country.
“Russia has an extremely unfavourable HIV situation. In the meantime, in the United States and Western Europe the number of new cases has been shrinking,” Pokrovsky was quoted by Itar-Tass news agency as saying.
Due to the fact that the most infected group is men aged 25-35, Pokrovsky advised all young men to undergo HIV tests.
He estimated the number of new infection cases in Russia will double in five years.
As of Nov 1 (2011), Russia had a total of 636,976 confirmed cases of HIV infection, including 104,257 patients who have already died.
- Russia helicopter crash kills three - Jul 25, 2011
- Angara passenger plane crashes in Siberia, killing 5 - Jul 11, 2011
- Russia tests HIV vaccine - Feb 06, 2012
- Putin test drives Europe's cheapest car - May 12, 2011
- Putin orders probe into improper flood warning - Jul 10, 2012
- Five percent rise in Russia's HIV cases - Mar 12, 2012
- Russian committee promises to investigate election complaints - Dec 12, 2011
- Russia launches military communication satellite - May 05, 2011
- Seven killed in Russia fire - Nov 13, 2011
- Suicide bombing at Russia police checkpoint - Jul 12, 2011
- Russian man goes on stabbing spree in Moscow - Dec 10, 2011
- Four militants killed in Russia's North Caucasus - Apr 19, 2011
- UTair passenger plane crashes in Siberia, killing 31 - Apr 02, 2012
- Passenger plane carrying ice hockey team crashes in western Russia, killing 43 - Sep 07, 2011
- Former Ukraine PM Tymoshenko goes on hunger strike - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: aids research, autonomous area, country russia, eastern siberia, federal aids, health officials, hiv cases, hiv infection, hiv tests, irkutsk region, itar tass, khanty, leningrad, nov 1, samara, siberia, tass news agency, vadim, western europe, xinhua