Rod removed from auto driver’s leg in ‘rare surgery’March 19th, 2010 - 8:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) A team of doctors here have removed an iron rod from the leg of a 30-year-old auto driver in a “rare surgery” as the rod had pierced near his ankle and got embedded in the rickshaw.
Doctors of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) Thursday removed the iron rod from the leg of Amrik, who was badly injured the same day after his auto rickshaw collided with a truck laden with iron rods in south Delhi.
“The auto driver met with an accident in which a 12 mm (in diameter) iron rod pierced near his ankle and then lodged itself in the rickshaw. The rod had to be cut at two places on either side of the leg in order to bring the patient to the hospital,” M.C. Mishra from AIIMS’ department of emergency medicine told reporters.
“We had to plan the course of treatment and the surgery very carefully as the slightest error could have resulted in amputation of the patients foot,” he added.
Sanjoi Bhoi, the doctor in-charge of the treatment, said the surgery was one-of-its-kind.
“The surgery was planned and performed in order to ensure minimum damage and maximum efficiency,” Bhoi said.
- Crack down on dangerously overloaded trucks, say experts - Apr 21, 2010
- Iron rods injure 2 Nigerians in freak accident - Apr 19, 2010
- Injured African student given 48 units of blood (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- African national critical after freak accident - Apr 20, 2010
- Doctors face tough challenge in saving impaled African (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Surgeons remove half of pelvis, save leg during bone cancer treatment - Mar 22, 2011
- Man pierced by iron rods, saved by doctors - Mar 12, 2012
- Impaled African student out of danger, other discharged - Apr 26, 2010
- Iron rods removed from youth's stomach - Jan 03, 2011
- Wounded in body and mind, but coping with terror (Week after Delhi High Court blast) - Sep 14, 2011
- Injured Arunima's condition now stable, say doctors (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Impaled African student critical - Apr 21, 2010
- Arunima stable, responding to treatment - Apr 20, 2011
- Injured Arunima's condition stable, say doctors - Apr 19, 2011
- Week after leg crushed by bus, girl dies - Jul 24, 2012
Tags: aiims, all india institute of medical sciences, amputation, amrik, auto driver, auto rickshaw, diameter, doctors, emergency medicine, india institute, iron rod, iron rods, march 19, maximum efficiency, medicine, mishra, New Delhi, south delhi