Residents In New Orleans Advised To Boil Water Before DrinkingNovember 21st, 2010 - 9:27 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Nov 21, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Mitch Landrieu, the city mayor of New Orleans is finally worried about the water problems in his area, for which he called for a press conference on Saturday afternoon. His last widespread boil-water order is still very much under execution in the east bank of Orleans Parish. However, the 10:00 PM power failure Friday night added to the growing water supply problems, as the water pressure dropped in many areas.
The city Mayor has assured to the public that advisory is adhering to strict precautions and more tests are being done for the betterment of the situation. He also said that from the perspective of the public health, no problems are expected to arise. Yet one cannot deny the fact, that the place has been undergoing tremendous water problems since the power cut on Friday. The turbines, generators and pumps went out or order, and lost pressure to fall below 10 PSI. LA Office of Public Health Regional Medical Director, Dr. Takeisha Davis said that the overall risk is low. However, if the system is compromised then it may lead to health hazards like infections and rashes. Therefore, the people have been warned to boil water before drinking them.
The Sewerage and Water Board are still clueless about what led to the loss of power, paralyzing the entire system that day, causing a lot of inconvenience across the city. Its impact still continues. Joey Adams, Bruno’s Tavern Uptown, manager said that it is being a big hassle, as they had to order for 800 pounds of ice just for the day alone. They also have to serve from two liter bottles and use plastic cups so that they need not clean every time. One coffee shop at the Maple Street had to be closed for the same reason.
- Residents Of New Orleans Commanded To Boil Water Till Sunday Afternoon - Nov 21, 2010
- Mitch Landrieu Elected As New Orleans Mayor - Feb 07, 2010
- Urban sanitation hopelessly inadequate: Parliament panel - Apr 30, 2012
- Louisiana Secretary Of State Jay Dardenne Advances In Lieutenant Governor's Race - Oct 03, 2010
- Police foil employees' march in Srinagar, scores detained - May 09, 2012
- Indian-origin boffin finds 54 beneficial compounds in pure maple syrup - Mar 31, 2011
- Kashmir parties for independent probe into civilian killings (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2010
- Restrictions, shutdown cripple Srinagar - Jun 21, 2010
- Restrictions, separatist shutdown hit life in Srinagar - Jul 12, 2010
- Ruby's haste to wed boyfriend riles Catholic Church - Apr 28, 2011
- Two-storey public toilets in Kolkata - Jun 24, 2012
- Malaysia to give $35 mn for Bangladesh water project - Jan 31, 2012
- Ames Iowa Flooding Leads To Water Main Break, Boil Order Issued - Aug 12, 2010
- Courtney Love denies suffering panic attack - May 16, 2012
- Celebrations in Mumbai as Hazare ends fast - Aug 28, 2011
Tags: big hassle, boil water order, city mayor, coffee shop, health hazards, joey adams, liter bottles, maple street, mayor of new orleans, meena, mitch landrieu, office of public health, orleans parish, plastic cups, power failure, rashes, sewerage and water board, water pressure, water problems, water supply problems