Punjab to complete river cleaning project by 2013April 27th, 2012 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, April 27 (IANS) An ambitious Rs.2,332-crore project to clean the rivers of Punjab would be completed by December 2013, Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said here Friday.
Badal, during a meeting with senior officers, directed that work on the project be accelerated.
He said that under the project, the state government had already spent Rs 650 crore on the laying of water supply lines and setting up of sewage treatment plants in 45 cities and towns around the banks of rivers Satluj, Beas and Ghaggar.
Sewerage is a major pollutant of Punjab’s rivers.
The chief minister also asked the officers to study the feasibility of replacing old sewage plants in Jalandhar and Ludhiana, the two major cities and industrial hubs of the state.
Work on the project was in full swing and would be completed by Dec 31 next year in 18 towns around Sutlej, 11 around Beas and 16 around Ghaggar, said Punjab Water Supply and Sewerage Board’s managing director Satpal Angurala.
Punjab derives its name from ‘Punj’ (five) and ‘Ab’ (river) which translates into ‘the land of five rivers’.
- ICMR to study spurt in cancer cases in Punjab - Sep 06, 2010
- Punjab cautions against possibility of floods - Aug 17, 2011
- Badal tells officials to monitor effluents - May 20, 2011
- Punjab to check potable water quality - Jul 01, 2012
- Larsen and Toubro bags Rs.11.64 bn projects - Dec 30, 2010
- Haryana, Punjab in blame game over floods - Jul 11, 2010
- Dam discharge floods low-lying areas in Punjab - Aug 21, 2011
- Himachal rivers in spate, alert sounded - Jul 26, 2011
- Badal wants check dams on Ghaggar river - Jul 19, 2010
- Urban sanitation hopelessly inadequate: Parliament panel - Apr 30, 2012
- Nod to Yamuna Action Plan's third phase for Delhi - Dec 01, 2011
- 11 dead with no let up in Haryana, Punjab floods (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2010
- Holy Ganga receives 2,900 million litres sewage daily: PM - Apr 17, 2012
- More Bhakra dam water released, no flood threat in Punjab - Aug 22, 2010
- Groundwater contaminated, Punjab battles uranium curse (Punjab Newsletter) - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: beas, chief minister, cities and towns, feasibility, full swing, industrial hubs, jalandhar, land of five rivers, major cities, managing director, parkash singh badal, pollutant, punj, rs 2, sewage plants, sewage treatment plants, sewerage, state government, sutlej, water supply