Prevention is best medicine for cancer: ExpertsSeptember 19th, 2010 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) Preventive care would prove to be the best medicine for cancer in India, experts believe.
“Preventive oncology is the treatment India needs for curbing cancer because over 55 percent of cancers are preventive,” Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital’s chief G.K. Rath told IANS.
“Nearly 80 percent of cancers are detected in the third and fourth stages. So the treatment has to be early as delay by even a single stage can cost you life,” he added.
Speaking at a seminar marking 20 years of Cancer Sahyog, an organisation working for the welfare of cancer patients, the panelists spoke on the issue of preventive oncology.
“When we talk of preventive care, we mean the role that society plays in healing. We also need to have screening centres and awareness at remote level to control the disease,” said panelist Ajay Dewan, director of Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre.
The panel also included nutritionist Shikha Sharma and A.K. Vaid, of the Medanta Medicity hospital, among others.
It is estimated there are 12 million people affected by cancer in India, with tobacco being the leading cause of the disease.
- Cancer rising among India's youth - Apr 19, 2012
- Changing lifestyle toughens India's cancer battle (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
- Awareness key to beating breast cancer, say experts (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
- FDA approves personalized therapy for tough-to-treat colorectal cancer - Jul 26, 2012
- Kerala leads in head and neck cancers - Jun 23, 2012
- 'Kicking butt reduces lung cancer by 90 percent' - Nov 24, 2010
- Colorectal cancer affecting India's fight against cancer - Feb 18, 2012
- Tobacco causing 50 percent head, neck cancers: Study - Aug 21, 2011
- Will Japan's radiation leak reach India? - Mar 21, 2011
- As hookah becomes in, it raises health concerns (Lifestyle Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Elderly show way to recovery after surgeries - Jul 17, 2011
- Wake-up call on breast cancer in India (Feature) - Oct 28, 2010
- Cuba launches world's first lung cancer retardant - Sep 07, 2011
- Maharashtra among top tobacco consumers in India - Jun 15, 2012
- China launches cancer screening programme - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: best medicine, cancer experts, cancer hospital, cancer patients, cancers, India, New Delhi, oncology, panelists, prevention, preventive care, preventive oncology, rajiv gandhi cancer institute, rath, rotary, screening centres, shikha sharma, tobacco, vaid, welfare