Pregnant women should be given vitamin D supplementsJuly 5th, 2010 - 5:03 am ICT by IANS
London, July 5 (IANS) All pregnant women should be given vitamin D supplements to safegaurd their babies’ life, as lack of it could be life-threatening for a newborn.
Researchers say women who do not have enough vitamin D can experience complications in pregnancy which could be life-threatening for a newborn. It could also lead to the development of diseases such as rickets and other deficiency linked conditions.
Elina Hypponen, from the University College London Institute of Child Health, said providing women with daily supplements would “reduce related serious risks to their babies”.
“The incidence of vitamin D deficiency in pregnant women in Britain is unacceptably high, especially during winter and spring,” telegraph.co.uk quoted Hypponen as saying.
“This is compounded by a lack of exposure to sunlight and the limitations of an average diet to meet the optimal need.”
“In the most severe cases, maternal vitamin D deficiency can be life threatening to a newborn.”
“We believe that the routine provision of a daily supplement throughout pregnancy would significantly decrease the number of mothers who are clearly vitamin D deficient, reducing related serious risks to their babies,” she added.
- Pregnant women 'should routinely take vitamin D supplements' - Jul 04, 2010
- Pregnancy stress can affect baby's iron status: Study - Apr 30, 2012
- Vitamin D deficiency linked to wide array of diseases - Aug 24, 2010
- Babies with low Vitamin D face double risk of schizophrenia - Sep 08, 2010
- Vitamin D supplements can prevent premature births - May 01, 2010
- Vitamin D supplements can prevent preterm labor/births - May 01, 2010
- Babies born to obese mums at risk for iron deficiency - May 01, 2011
- Low Vitamin D levels during pregnancy may affect kid's speech - Feb 15, 2012
- Vitamin D pills advised for under-fives to avoid rickets - Jan 27, 2011
- Vitamin C deficiency may impair newborn babies' mental development - Sep 03, 2009
- Vitamin D safe for healthy pregnant women - Jun 29, 2011
- 'Sunshine vitamin' can help beat cancer, heart disease - Aug 16, 2010
- 'Half of all child deaths in India due to pre-term births' - May 02, 2012
- Diabetic women likely to deliver babies with defects - Feb 06, 2012
- Vitamin deficiency after weight loss op 'can cause vision loss in infants' - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: babies, complications in pregnancy, diet, diseases, institute of child health, london institute, pregnant women, provision, sunlight, supplements, telegraph, university college london, vitamin d deficiency, winter and spring