Pregnant woman dies after government hospitals deny admissionJanuary 14th, 2012 - 12:50 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 13 (IANS) The inhuman face of the state-run health services came to the fore once again in the city, as a pregnant woman died after she was allegedly denied admission in two of the leading hospitals in Kolkata.
Uma Devi, 38, had on Thursday night given birth to a child. After she fell ill, her husband took her to Chittaranjan Seva Sadan hospital where she was enrolled for check ups during the initial months of pregnancy.
But a family member of Uma Devi alleged the hospital authorities refused to admit her in the middle of the night and referred her to Shambhunath Pandit hospital - another state run hospital.
On her way to the Shambhunath Pandit hospital, she gave birth to another child. But the hospital authorities of Shambhunath Pandit hospital also refused admission and referred her back to Chittaranjan Seva Sadan hospital. Uma devi died on her way.
Although health officials denied the incident, they have ordered an inquiry into the incident under tremendous pressure.
“We have formed a three member committee to enquire into the incident,” said Ashis Mukhopadhay, superintendent, Chittaranjan Seva Sadan Hospital.
“I have enquired about the incident but nobody has said anything to me,” said director of medical education Sushanta Banerjee.
- Bengal hospital gets clean chit in patient denial case - Jan 15, 2012
- Living in hospital so wife can be on duty: former CPI-M MP - Jul 01, 2011
- Viswa-Bharati shocker: PMO seeks report, earden gets bail (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2012
- FIR against Sikar government hospital head - Aug 28, 2012
- Seven killed in Bengal firing, CPI-M blamed - Jan 08, 2011
- Women delivers baby near lift in Noida hospital - Nov 17, 2011
- Bengal hospital gives cat-bite jab to child instead of mother - Feb 07, 2012
- Andhra woman delivers on road - Apr 09, 2012
- Viswa-Bharati row: Warden gets bail, court censures police (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Vishva-Bharati row: Court issues contempt notice against PM, others - Jul 13, 2012
- Punish the guilty, Kolkata echoes in one voice - Dec 10, 2011
- Visva Bharati shocker: Varsity team visits student - Jul 12, 2012
- Baby girl tortured, now in Bangalore (Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- Baby girl tortured by father, this time in Bangalore (Second Lead) - Apr 09, 2012
- HIV woman refused admission, gives birth by roadside - May 31, 2010
Tags: admission, check ups, family member, government hospitals, health officials, health services, hospital authorities, inhuman face, medical education, member committee, months of pregnancy, pregnant woman, superintendent, thursday night, uma devi, ups