Pregnant teen with cancer spurs abortion debateJuly 24th, 2012 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
Santo Domingo, July 24 (IANS/EFE) The plight of a pregnant teenager suffering from acute leukaemia stirred up anew Monday the controversy over abortion, which is barred by the Dominican Republic constitution even in cases where the mother’s life is in danger.
The 16-year-old is nine weeks pregnant and urgently needs to undergo chemotherapy for her illness, a treatment that will severely affect the foetus.
The president of the Gynaecology Society, Ruddy Guerrero, said that doctors attending the patient are really at a crossroads, but said that the immediate task is to start treating the girl.
The subject was discussed Monday by the Feminist Forum, which said that “first and most urgent is beginning chemotherapy” for Esperanza, as the teen is identified, and that doctors “should apply the protocols of attention universally established in such cases, without fear of reprisals of any kind”.
However, they said, “that alone is not enough. Esperanza’s case will be repeated time after time until the legal regulations are changed that allow this kind of situation to arise”.
The group said that doctors should have started treating the teenager a week ago and warned that “the time wasted could mark the difference between life and death for this young woman, so we can do no less than ask: What are you waiting for?”
“If the specialists consulted have recommended almost unanimously that chemo be started immediately, why the delay? If the girl, her mother, her doctors and even the public health minister (Bautista Rojas Gomez) have requested the start of treatment, why not go ahead with it?” the group’s members asked.
This case, they said, “once more spotlights the humanitarian dilemmas, political trickery and legal confusion created” by Article 37 of the new constitution enacted in 2010.
- 6,000 affected with dengue in Dominican Republic - Jul 27, 2010
- Paraguayan president diagnosed with cancer - Aug 07, 2010
- Assailants kill two wounded men at Honduran hospital - Sep 15, 2011
- Singer Vladimir Dotel hospitalized - Mar 19, 2012
- Nine die in Dominican Republic fire - Nov 26, 2010
- Targeted cancer drug more effective after first-line treatment - Feb 28, 2011
- 170 Mexican kids sick after having food at school - May 01, 2012
- Brazil's ex-president discharged from hospital - Feb 18, 2012
- Two Dominicans wanted for 36 murders held - Apr 23, 2010
- Cyanide-laced food kills five in Mexico - Dec 27, 2011
- Hypnosis at Colombian school ends in mass hysteria - Sep 03, 2011
- Diplomat murdered in Dominican Republic - Apr 18, 2012
- Mexican freed after 12 years in jail for crime he didn't commit - Jul 06, 2011
- Dominican pastor booked for molesting 30 kids - Sep 17, 2010
- Argentines at odds over case of pregnant 11-year-old - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: abortion debate, acute leukaemia, chemotherapy, crossroads, esperanza, feminist forum, foetus, health minister, life and death, nine weeks, plight, pregnant teen, pregnant teenager, reprisals, republic constitution, rojas gomez, santo domingo, spurs, time after time, trickery