Postmenopausal women at increased obesity risksNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:52 am ICT by admin
Since women are at a risk for gaining weight as they age, the postmenopausal women become the vulnerable population. Also, they are more at risk for being overweight or obese than men.
The study stated that it was very essential for health care providers to understand the health consequences of obesity and so they should incorporate the penalties of obesity into their health promotion strategies for postmenopausal women.
Postmenopausal women stand at a crossroad, facing the possibility of living the remainder of their lives in essentially good health or facing the probable onset of chronic diseases that might have been prevented,” says. Dennis said.
“By first understanding the health consequences of being overweight, nurses have a unique opportunity to work with women of all ages in fighting obesity,” she said.
Obesity can lead to an aggravated risk of heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea, cancer, osteoarthritis and mental health problems.
The study is published in the Journal of Obstetric, Gynaecologic, and Neonatal Nursing. (ANI)
- Abnormal breathing in sleep triggers hyperactivity in kids - Mar 05, 2012
- Obesity in postmenopausal women increases risk for fractures - Mar 26, 2011
- A quarter of overweight women think they're normal - Nov 23, 2010
- Overweight, obese mums 'at higher risk of premature births' - Jul 21, 2010
- Best time for birth of twins is 37 weeks - Jun 15, 2012
- Weight loss secures lasting benefits - Aug 03, 2012
- Smoking doesn't boost breast cancer risk in obese postmenopausal women - Apr 04, 2011
- Obese pregnant women 'more likely to have complicated births' - Jan 26, 2011
- Being overweight does not carry higher death risk - Jul 08, 2012
- Link between low birth weight and H1N1 flu revealed - May 03, 2011
- Nearly 25pc of overweight women think they're normal size: Study - Nov 23, 2010
- Ethnicity key to accurate obesity measurements - Apr 22, 2010
- Postmenopausal smoking boosts sex hormone levels - Sep 01, 2011
- Need to speed up global solutions for chronic diseases, say researchers - Sep 16, 2010
- Diet, exercise combination best way to lose weight - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: chronic diseases, crossroad, fighting obesity, gaining weight, health care providers, health consequences, health promotion strategies, healthcare professionals, mental health problems, neonatal nursing, obstetric, osteoarthritis, overweight, postmenopausal women, risk, said obesity, sleep apnea, vulnerable population