Post menopausal conditions hit younger womenSeptember 9th, 2011 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 9 (IANS) A hormonal condition characteristic of post-menopausal women is hitting large numbers of much younger females.
The condition, known as Hyperostosis Frontalis Interna (HFI), seems to be attacking females earlier and more frequently than their sisters a century ago.
Women today are 2.5 times more likely to develop HFI than they were 100 years ago, the study by Tel Aviv University found.
HFI occurs when a hormonal imbalance leads to the growth of lesions, or bone masses, in the inner skull, the American Journal of Human Biology reports.
This may lead to chronic headaches, weight gain and thyroid irregularities and is suspected to be rooted in lifestyle, fertility habits, nutrition, and environment.
That balance is being altered by hormones we now consume in our food and by our changing fertility patterns, such as having children later in life, according to a Tel Aviv statement.
Women’s hormonal balances are changing and taking a physical toll, says Israel Hershkovitz, who conducted the study with graduate student Hila May.
Hershkovitz and his team compared 992 historic female skulls from museum collections aged 20 to 90 years with CT scans of 568 living female participants aged between 20 and 103 years.
- Ultrasound as effective as CT scans in most cases - May 12, 2011
- Wine could help protect older women from thinning bones - Aug 03, 2012
- Male menopause really does exist - Apr 02, 2011
- Hormone level predicts onset of menopause - May 27, 2011
- Male foetuses more vulnerable to alcohol - Mar 24, 2011
- Sex hormone protects women from cardio risks - Aug 12, 2011
- Now, simple blood test to reveal women's menopause age - Jun 27, 2010
- Post-menopause, women more vulnerable to heart attacks - Jun 12, 2012
- Genetic test could predict menopause in women - Oct 18, 2010
- Menopause not linked to heart attack - Sep 06, 2011
- Avoidable breast cancer risk factors identified - Jan 19, 2011
- Oestrogen patch for sharper memory? - Jan 25, 2011
- Male Menopause: Is it a myth or a reality? - Sep 10, 2010
- Combination menopausal hormone therapy ups heart disease risk - Feb 17, 2010
- Top 9 sex-related myths busted - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,