Polio resurging in Africa, says Red CrossApril 8th, 2009 - 4:34 pm ICT by IANS
Geneva, April 8 (DPA) The International Federation of the Red Cross (IFRC) warned Wednesday that polio is spreading again in 14 countries across Africa, including in areas where the disease had once been eradicated.
“We have clear indications that polio is spreading again, including in countries such as Uganda, which had been polio-free for more than a decade,” said Tammam Aloudat, an IFRC expert on emergencies.
The IFRC comprises all national Red Cross and Red Crescent societies.
An outbreak previously restricted to southern Sudan and western Ethiopia had recently spread to Kenya, Uganda and northern Sudan, the IFRC reported.
The group noted that, in the past, polio originating from eastern Africa had spread, probably owing to the heavily used sea ports there, to Gulf states and countries as far away as Indonesia.
The outbreak had also moved to the Democratic Republic of Congo and neighbouring countries.
Polio today is considered endemic only in Afghanistan, India, Nigeria and Pakistan.
The IFRC said that outbreaks in the previously polio-free countries were “a sad reminder that the fight against polio is not over yet”.
The organisation said it needed some $2 million to respond to the viral outbreak.
In February, UN agencies and other groups started a polio vaccine campaign to immunise 53 million children in eight West African countries, including Nigeria, over the course of several weeks.
The large campaign was in response to a polio outbreak last year, which spread from northern Nigeria to nearby countries.
- Pakistani daily lauds India for no polio cases in 2011 - Jan 14, 2012
- 'Ensure regular vaccination to make India polio free' - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Low chances of polio coming to India from Pakistan' - May 31, 2012
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Indian Olympic athletes appeal to root out polio - Aug 02, 2012
- Community mobilisers inch closer towards making India polio-free - Jan 31, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Nearly 300 die of cholera in Sierra Leone: WHO - Sep 21, 2012
- Polio funds get a boost in India: Rotary International - Feb 10, 2012
- Over 17 crore kids get polio vaccine - Feb 19, 2012
- India should be polio free in three years: Rotary International - Mar 30, 2011
- Spread awareness about polio: Minister to Bengal religious leaders - Jun 16, 2012
- Polio-free Southeast Asia within reach: WHO - Sep 05, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Faltering on polio, Pakistan looks at India lesson - Mar 02, 2012
Tags: democratic republic of congo, eastern africa, free countries, gulf states, ifrc, international federation of the red cross, nearby countries, neighbouring countries, northern nigeria, northern sudan, polio, polio outbreak, polio vaccine, red crescent societies, republic of congo, sad reminder, sea ports, southern sudan, viral outbreak, western ethiopia