Polio-free Southeast Asia within reach: WHOSeptember 5th, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) Eleven countries in Southeast Asia region are now on track to declaring the region polio-free as the last case of wild polio virus there was reported in Jan 2011 in India, making a regional polio-free certification possible in early 2014, a World Health Organisation (WHO) official said Wednesday.
WHO is working with countries to ensure the region sustains the gains made on polio eradication and achieves the regional polio-free certification in early 2014.
“On present trends, the Southeast Asia region is set to be declared polio-free in January 2014. This is a magnificent achievement. We must now eradicate polio globally,” said Margaret Chan, WHO director general, during a meeting in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
According to WHO, twenty months without any cases of polio reported in the region is an important milestone, but the mission has not been accomplished yet.
Describing India’s effort in eradicating polio, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare Sudip Bandyopadhyay said, “The magnitude of effort gone into achieving the zero polio status could be well understood by the fact that during each nationwide polio vaccination campaign, India has successfully vaccinated 172 million children through 2.3 million vaccinators in 202 million households.”
“India has learnt several critical lessons during the journey of polio eradication which will act as a guide not only for India but for the entire world in any public health intervention,” he added.
- WHO lauds India's year without polio (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- 'Ensure regular vaccination to make India polio free' - Feb 23, 2012
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Pakistani daily lauds India for no polio cases in 2011 - Jan 14, 2012
- India determined to eradicate polio: minister - Dec 09, 2011
- WHO commends India's polio free year - Jan 13, 2012
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- Polio funds get a boost in India: Rotary International - Feb 10, 2012
- Indian Olympic athletes appeal to root out polio - Aug 02, 2012
- Over 17 crore kids get polio vaccine - Feb 19, 2012
- India faces polio threat from Pakistan: Minister - Dec 20, 2011
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Japan gives 120 mn yen grant to fight polio - Mar 26, 2012
- Pakistan hopes to end polio in two years - Jun 01, 2012
Tags: countries in southeast asia, critical lessons, director general, entire world, family welfare, magnificent achievement, magnitude, margaret chan, milestone, minister of state, New Delhi, polio, polio eradication, polio vaccination, polio virus, public health intervention, southeast asia region, vaccination campaign, world health organisation, yogyakarta indonesia