Polar bear dies from zebra virusAugust 18th, 2012 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 18 (IANS) Scientists have warned equine herpes might have developed the ability to jump species in the same way as influenza, after a polar bear died in a zoo in Germany after catching herpes from a zebra.
Female polar bear Jerka, 20, suffered seizures and frothing at the mouth after her brain swelled, The Sun reported.
Her 16-year-old male mate Lars, who was also infected, was saved by veterinarians at the Zoological Gardens in Wuppertal, Germany.
Experts found the cause of death was a form of equine herpes.
Zoo keepers were baffled by the illness because the zebra house is 68 metres from the bear enclosure.
Influenza can spread from pigs to birds to humans and there are now fears this virus could be the same, the daily said.
- Now, coolers, glucose and vitamins for Patna Zoo inmates - Apr 19, 2010
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Two tigers escape from Guwahati zoo, tranquilised later - Jan 30, 2010
- Aurangabad tigress gifted to Jamshedpur's Tata Zoological Park - Dec 11, 2010
- Polar bear Knut to become world's most famous stuffed animal - Mar 24, 2011
- Knut the polar bear's death could have been avoided: PETA - Mar 20, 2011
- Orissa zoo launches special summer menu for animals - May 16, 2011
- Kolkata zoo to get kangaroos - May 19, 2011
- Coolers, sheds, mangos...beating summer blues at Delhi Zoo - May 09, 2012
- Rare zebra-donkey hybrid born in Xiamen Haicang Zoo - Jul 06, 2011
- Zoo gears up for monsoon season in Bihar - Jul 29, 2010
- Vizag Zoo now has substantial rock python population - Aug 16, 2010
- Wolves kill zoo keeper at Swedish zoo - Jun 18, 2012
- Debate rages over judges who fall asleep on the job (The Funny Side) - Aug 24, 2012
- Tripura zoo on alert after death of birds, animals - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: birds, brain, cause of death, equine herpes, herpes, influenza, lars, london, mate, pigs, polar bear, scientists, seizures, sun, veterinarians, virus, wuppertal germany, zebra, zoo keepers, zoological gardens