PM backs health ministry on medical educationOctober 1st, 2010 - 3:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 1 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday said the heath ministry’s proposed bill for a separate council to look after medical education in India will be introduced in parliament soon, putting an end to its turf war with the human resource development ministry.
“National Council for Human Resource in Health will be formed soon,” the prime minister said while addressing the 38th Convocation of All India Institute of Medical Sciences in the national capital.
Health Secretary Sujatha Rao said: “Health education will remain with the health ministry, and the consultations for the bill are on.”
The turf war started when the HRD ministry proposed that the medical education be brought under the ambit of its National Commission for Higher Education and Research (NCHER) while the health ministry proposed a separate National Council for Human Resource in Health (NCHRH).
At this the health ministry voiced its concerns, maintaining that medical education needed to remain with it since it is a specialised field.
While the health ministry looked enthused over the prime minister’s backing, a deadline for bringing the bill was not given.
“It is as per the president’s address to the joint session. The prime minister also announced it on Independence Day. We are now working on the bill and it will be ready soon,” Rao said.
According to sources, the prime minister has been backing a separate council for health education since the beginning. The issue was first mentioned by Manmohan Singh in his Independence Day speech when he announced separate councils for higher education and health.
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM(Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- A council for human resource in health soon: PM (Second Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Separate higher council for medical education: Azad (Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Human resource, health ministries mull common council members - Jun 10, 2010
- PM backs health ministry on keeping medical education - May 24, 2010
- Medical education's regulation by HRD ministry opposed - May 25, 2010
- Bill on medical education regulator likely in monsoon session - May 26, 2010
- HRD, health ministries agree on medical education - Jul 17, 2010
- 'Medical education needs separate governing body' - May 17, 2010
- Jayalalithaa opposes human resources for health bill - Apr 12, 2012
- Physiotherapists for own council under new health regulator - Jul 21, 2010
- Panel to discuss higher education regulator bill Friday - Jun 17, 2010
- Education board for bringing medicine, law under regulator - Jun 19, 2010
- Parliament passes MCI amendment bill - May 10, 2012
- Nationwide lawyers' strike badly hits court proceedings (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, ambit, capital health, commission for higher education, development ministry, education in india, health ministry, health secretary, hrd ministry, human resource development, india institute, joint session, manmohan, manmohan singh, medical education, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, specialised field, sujatha, turf war