Pizza Hut, KFC and McDonald’s fast food ‘almost as salty as the sea’November 14th, 2007 - 2:30 am ICT by admin
The researchers noted that the food served in these ‘big four’ restaurants contain more than twice the recommended daily amount of salt for adults, and almost four times the limit for a six-year-old child.
Prof Graham MacGregor, the chairman of Cash and the director of St George’s Hospital Medical School blood pressure department, said that using salt was a smart ploy as it is addictive. However, he also insisted that it can be harmful.
“Salt is very addictive. You see this in children when you give them good, home-cooked food without much salt, they think it does not taste right,” The Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
“The profit margins on a lot of the products are huge - cheap ingredients are often used and salt is put in, bringing the level up almost to the concentration of sea water.
“If you eat very salty foods, that suppresses the salt receptors on the tongue and increases demand for salty foods.”
The report however, was branded biased by the fast food chains.
A spokesman for KFC and Pizza Hut said: “Every sensible parent knows that Pizza Hut and KFC are an enjoyable treat and we have significantly reduced the salt levels in our products over the past few years.”
McDonald’s and Burger King turned the findings around to say that it showed that the chains have worked hard to reduce their salt levels. (ANI)
- Sea salt no healthier than table salt - Nov 17, 2011
- Burger King to launch 'Pizza Burger' with 2,520-calorie! - Aug 23, 2010
- Good news for fast food addicts - Jul 15, 2010
- McDonald's, Burger King now 'serving healthier foods' - Jul 15, 2010
- KFC eyes 500 restaurants in India by 2015 - Dec 18, 2011
- Snoop Dogg digs into junk food - Jul 19, 2011
- Now, a McDonald's burger named after Shane Warne! - Nov 10, 2010
- Five Guys Burger Voted As The Best Fast Food Burger In US - Aug 18, 2010
- Pakistanis outraged as Pizza Hut scraps Ramadan offer - Aug 08, 2012
- 3G Capital Acquires Burger King - Sep 03, 2010
- Burger King introduces bacon sundae in the US - Jun 13, 2012
- Fast food culture making people impatient - Apr 19, 2010
- Addicts cut down on junk food after calorie labelling - Jul 27, 2011
- French fast food chain launches foie gras burger for just 5 euros - Nov 27, 2010
- San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom Vetoes McDonald's Happy Meals Ban - Nov 14, 2010
Tags: addictive, burger king, cheap ingredients, consensus action on salt and health, fast food chains, have worked hard, home cooked food, hospital medical school, kfc, mcdonald, nutritional content, pizza hut, prof graham, s hospital, salty foods, school blood, sea water