Pistachios pip pretzel as weight-loss snackMay 4th, 2011 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 4 (IANS) Choosing to snack on pistachios rather than pretzels as part of a healthy diet not only supports weight loss goals but can support heart health too.
The study is especially significant as snack foods account for more than a quarter of the total caloric intake among Americans.
“This study is important because it’s the first of its kind to show that pistachios can be part of a successful weight management programme,” said David Heber, director of the University of California Los Angeles Centre for Human Nutrition.
“Snackers often think pretzels are a better choice for weight management compared to a nut like pistachios just because they are lower in fat. This study debunks that myth,” Heber was quoted as saying by the American College of Nutrition.
In this 12-week randomised study, 52 overweight subjects were placed on a 500-calorie deficit diet and were assigned to either a pistachio snack or pretzel snack group, according to a California statement.
The pistachio group included a daily snack of 240 calories (about 75 pistachios) and the pretzel group, a two ounce snack of similar caloric value totalling 220 calories.
The results showed that the pistachio group had better success with supporting their body mass index (BMI, a height to weight ratio) goals compared to the pretzel group.
Pistachios can help support heart health too, proving that they can be included in a healthy diet, even for those who are managing their weight.
- Pistachios, not pretzels, are weight-loss snack! - May 04, 2011
- Pistachios support weight management, heart health - Apr 12, 2011
- Pistachios help growth of beneficial gut bugs - Apr 26, 2012
- Multiple health benefits of eating pistachios - May 21, 2010
- Popping raisins curbs calorie intake in children - Jun 03, 2012
- Don't skip meals to shed weight - Jul 15, 2012
- Be nutty for good health - Apr 13, 2012
- Diet and exercise 'more effective for weight loss when combined' - Apr 15, 2011
- Spuds 'can be a part of weight loss programs' - Oct 12, 2010
- Eat healthy, snack on some 'skinny nut' - Dec 22, 2009
- Pistachios 'can cut lung cancer risk' - Dec 09, 2009
- Eating chocolates, candies occasionally 'has no adverse health affects' - Mar 31, 2011
- Drinking vegetable juice 'can help people meet key dietary guidelines' - Feb 04, 2011
- Eating time too impacts weight gain, shows study - Jul 11, 2012
- A handful of pistachios a day can help keep heart doc away - May 18, 2010
Tags: better success, body mass index, body mass index bmi, caloric intake, caloric value, calorie deficit, david heber, healthy diet, heart health, height to weight ratio, human nutrition, overweight subjects, pistachios, pretzel, pretzels, snack foods, successful weight management, university of california los angeles, weight loss goals, weight management programme