Peru confirms first swine flu infectionApril 30th, 2009 - 12:20 pm ICT by IANS
Lima, April 30 (DPA) Peru’s health authorities have confirmed the country’s first case of swine flu.
The victim was an Argentinian woman who was in Mexico only for a few hours on a layover when travelling from the US to Argentina, Peru’s Health Minister Oscar Ugarte said Wednesday.
The 27-year-old was hospitalised with high fever, nosebleeds and a cough at a quarantine ward in Callao province near the capital Lima, he said.
The woman was en route Monday from California to Argentina via Mexico and Panama when she felt unwell during the flight and the captain asked for an unscheduled landing in Peru, where the woman was then hospitalised.
Peru’s authorities are concentrating on examining travellers in their attempts to stem an outbreak of the disease. At Lima’s international airport 5,146 passengers from 39 flights arriving from North America have been examined, authorities said.
Argentina meanwhile halted all passenger flights to and from Mexico. The measure was to remain in place until Monday, cabinet chief Sergio Massa said, adding that health authorities were examining three suspected cases of swine flu. Temperature scanners have been installed at Buenos Aires international airport.
- Peru to vaccinate seven mn against swine flu - Sep 02, 2009
- Mexico shuts down for five days, more swine flu cases reported (Roundup) - May 01, 2009
- Mexico shuts down for five days, more swine flu cases reported (Intro Roundup, Superseding earlier copy) - May 01, 2009
- Oz swine flu death toll rises to 95 - Aug 11, 2009
- EU rejects travel ban, world looks for flu measures - May 01, 2009
- Man held for smuggling cocaine into Mexico in his shoes - Jan 21, 2011
- Peru suspends flights to and from Mexico - Apr 30, 2009
- Fidel Castro accuses Mexico of hiding flu outbreak - May 13, 2009
- Goa on alert after Pune swine flu outbreak - Mar 24, 2012
- 1,000 doses of flu vaccine stolen in Peru - Apr 26, 2010
- 11 killed in Peru road accident - Sep 02, 2012
- Flights may be mode of spreading swine flu - Jun 04, 2010
- Second swine flu death reported in Himachal - Apr 25, 2012
- Peruvian sex workers protest against foreigners in business - Aug 04, 2010
- Swine flu returns to Andhra, two fresh cases in Hyderabad - Jun 19, 2010
Tags: 39 flights, attempts, buenos aires, cough, dpa, flu, health authorities, health minister, high fever, layover, massa, nosebleeds, outbreak, panama, passenger flights, peru, scanners, swine flu, travellers, ugarte