People more likely to eat fruits within reachMay 1st, 2012 - 4:22 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 1 (IANS) Want to stay healthy - then place fruits in a clear bowl within arm’s reach, so that you could help yourself whenever you felt the urge to eat.
The new study says that when fruits are within reach, people are more likely to eat them. Greater visibility of fruit increases their intake, but the same does not hold true for vegetables.
Researchers Gregory J. Privitera and Heather E. Creary, both from St. Bonaventure University, Olean, US, tested a total of 96 college students by placing apple slices and carrot cuts in either clear or opaque bowls at a table close at arms’ length or at a table two metres away.
Participants watched as the food was taken out of its packaging and were told that they were welcome to eat it, the journal Environment and Behaviour reports.
After leaving the students alone with the food for 10 minutes, the researchers found that when apples and carrots were left close to the participants, those healthy foods were more likely to be eaten, according to St Bonaventure statement.
Interestingly, making the food more visible to participants by placing them in clear bowls increased the intake of the apples but not the carrots. The researchers said this might be due to the fact that fruit is sweeter and may induce more motivation to eat than bitter-tasting vegetables.
“Apples, but not carrots, have sugar, which is known to stimulate brain reward regions that induce a ‘wanting’ for foods that contain sugar,” the authors wrote. “Hence, apple slices may be more visually appealing than carrots.”
- Carrots 'make people more attractive' - Jan 08, 2011
- Family dinners help kids stave off obesity - Apr 24, 2012
- Kids should start their meal with veggies - May 06, 2010
- Eating fruit, veggies linked to a lower risk of dying from heart disease - Jan 19, 2011
- The fruit juice cocktail 'super-smoothie' that cuts heart disease risk! - May 05, 2011
- Scientists reveal that eating fruits and vegetables could make people cuter - Mar 08, 2012
- Eating fruits and vegetables gives you a healthy tan - Jan 12, 2011
- Summer best time to shed weight - Apr 04, 2012
- Healthy Holiday recipes - Nov 24, 2009
- Teens junking healthy lifestyle kiss happiness away - Mar 04, 2012
- Glass of fruit juice carries cancer risk - Sep 26, 2011
- Images of high-calorie food create craving - Jun 26, 2012
- Popeye cartoons, tasting parties boost vegetable intake in kids - Aug 07, 2010
- Fructose does not increase food intake or impact weight: Extensive study - Feb 11, 2011
- Organic fruit and veggies 'are less nutritious and do not taste better' - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: apple slices, apples, bowls, brain reward, carrot, carrots, college students, fruits, healthy foods, heather, journal environment, motivation, olean, participants, privitera, st bonaventure university, urge, vegetables, visibility