Parents want mercy killing for disabled sons (Lead)August 11th, 2009 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 11 (IANS) A farmer and his wife in Uttar Pradesh have sought President Pratibha Patil’s permission for the mercy killing of all their four sons who have turned into virtual vegetables.
The four, aged 10 to 16 years, have been afflicted by muscular dystrophy, a genetic disease that has confined them to bed.
“My sons cannot stand on their feet. They are unable to move their body below the neck. I see their distress every day. Now when doctors too have lost hope, I want they should die. Death would be the ultimate solution for their suffering,” farmer Jeet Narayan of Bashi village of Mirzapur district, some 300 km from Lucknow, has said in his letter to Patil.
“My sons are in utter discomfort. I cannot see their helplessness any more. So, we have written to the president that our sons be killed through euthanasia,” Narayan’s wife Prabhavati told IANS over telephone.
Narayan has told his neighbours that he has sold of all his valuables to meet the medical expenses of his sons.
“Our financial resources have been exhausted. I even sold off the parental land. Moreover, I owe nearly Rs.2 lakhs to moneylenders,” he said.
Prabhavati said muscular dystrophy afflicted her sons when they were five years old. She identified them as Durgesh, 16, Sarvesh, 14, Brijesh, 11, and Suresh, 10. All four were normal children until then.
The couple now fear their four-year-old daughter may become disabled when she turns five.
“Till now our daughter is doing fine but we are quite worried about her. She might meet the same fate like her brothers after a year or so,” said Prabhavati.
- Parents seek mercy killing of four sons - Aug 11, 2009
- Parents want death for sons - Aug 22, 2009
- Farmer couple writes to president, demands mercy killing of four sons - Aug 28, 2009
- Famous euthanasia cases across the world - Mar 07, 2011
- Bihar parents seek mercy killing for two sons - Mar 09, 2011
- Helping muscular dystrophy patients - like her son wanted - Mar 23, 2011
- No to euthanasia, parents now seek help for kids - Mar 18, 2011
- Andhra woman seeks mercy killing for paralysed son - Feb 07, 2012
- Andhra woman seeks euthanasia for paralysed son (Lead) - Feb 07, 2012
- Golden retriever could hold key to treating muscular dystrophy - Dec 31, 2010
- Woman kills two sons, self in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 13, 2010
- Three of a family shot dead in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 25, 2011
- On bed of thorns in support of Anna - Aug 27, 2011
- Six of family consume poison, four dead - Aug 21, 2010
- Aruna Shanbaug will live: Supreme Court (Roundup) - Mar 07, 2011
Tags: brijesh, doctors, fate, financial resources, genetic disease, helplessness, lakhs, medical expenses, muscular dystrophy, narayan, neighbours, parents, president pratibha patil, suffering, suresh, ultimate solution, uttar pradesh, valuables, vegetables