Panel on food ingredients norms not per law, says courtFebruary 8th, 2011 - 3:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 8 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday said the experts’ panel - to frame guidelines on what ingredients could be used in food products - was set up contrary to the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Act.An apex court bench of Justice Dalveer Bhandari and Justice A.K. Ganguly said: “Experts’ panel is prima facie violative of the Food Safety Act.”
The court observed that Section 13 (I) of the act categorically provides for an independent experts panel under the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
It said the presence on the panel of people associated with the food industry and soft drinks chains was contrary to the statutory provisions.
The court observation came in the course of the hearing of a petition that has sought disclosure of ingredients being used in edible products and soft drinks and the harmful effects on the consumers.
- Panel on soft drinks will be re-constituted, apex court told (Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Panel on soft drinks will be re-constituted, apex court told (Second Lead) - Feb 08, 2011
- Apex court rejects Jagan's petition against CBI inquiry - Jul 22, 2011
- China tightens food safety measures - Feb 03, 2012
- Court refuses to stay probe against chess federation (Lead) - Nov 22, 2011
- Panel gets time to study 44 deemed universities' replies - Apr 12, 2011
- Apex court adjourns hearing in Jayalalithaa graft case - Sep 06, 2011
- Junk food: High Court seeks guidelines - Jan 11, 2012
- Supreme Court: Provide toilets in government schools - Oct 18, 2011
- Apex court clears judge for international court - Apr 26, 2012
- Order against Naidu: Supreme Court declines to interfere - Nov 23, 2011
- Pan masala makers want curbs to go - Oct 20, 2011
- Why shouldn't you get death, apex court asks killer of five - Sep 03, 2011
- Civic agencies get praise for night shelters from apex court - Jan 17, 2011
- What are you doing to implement juvenile justice act, asks court - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: apex, apex court, bhandari, chains, court bench, disclosure, edible products, food industry, food ingredients, food products, food safety act, ganguly, independent experts, New Delhi, norms, observation, petition, section 13, soft drinks, statutory provisions