Panda justifies conducting bypass surgery on PMMay 28th, 2009 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) Ramakant Panda, the private doctor who conducted a cardiac operation on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in January, said Thursday the second bypass surgery “on beating heart is more complex” on which “very few surgeons have consistent good results”.
Panda was reacting to the Central Information Commission (CIC) asking All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) to explain the reasons why a private doctor conducted cardiac surgery on the prime minister.
“Contrary to opinion, redo (second) bypass surgery is a far more complex operation than first bypass. Redo bypass on beating heart is still more complex and there are very few surgeons in the world who have consistent good results,” Panda said in an statement.
An RTI applicant, Jagdish Chander Jetli, had sought details about the rules and reasons of AIIMS under which Panda and his team from the Asian Heart Institute, Mumbai was asked to carry out the surgery at the premier medical institute.
Manmohan Singh underwent a coronary bypass surgery Jan 24 to remove five arterial blockages. He was operated upon at AIIMS by an 11-member panel of doctors led by Panda. The prime minister was discharged from hospital Feb 1.
Jetli had contended before the CIC that calling a private doctor to conduct the operation at the premier institute, “staffed by the best doctors in the country and (equipped) with the best of medical facilities, has eroded the reputation of AIIMS”.
Panda said that by getting operated in AIIMS, the prime minister has sent a message that our public hospitals are very good and has acknowledged both private expertise and public facilities in full measure.
Replying to Jetli’s query, AIIMS had said the decision to invite Panda was taken “jointly by the PMO and family members of the prime minister”.
- Six months after double bypass, Gogoi 'hale and hearty' (With Image) - Feb 04, 2012
- PM's heart surgeon Panda injured in car accident (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- PM's heart surgeon Ramakant Panda injured in accident - Dec 27, 2010
- Tell how private doc was brought for PM's surgery, CIC to AIIMS - May 26, 2009
- Mumbai heart hospital ranked safest in world - Jun 08, 2012
- PM's heart surgeon Panda escapes unhurt in accident (Second Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- PM's heart surgeon Ramakant Panda gets Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2010
- Assam chief minister recovering after heart surgery (Lead) - Aug 05, 2010
- Gogoi to undergo two heart surgeries Wednesday - Aug 03, 2010
- Vijay Amritraj inspires brave-hearts of Mumbai Marathon - Jan 14, 2012
- Gogoi to be fit to travel in two weeks - Sep 18, 2010
- Complicated heart surgeries performed successfully on Gogoi (Lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Gogoi to undergo heart surgeries in Mumbai - Jul 30, 2010
- PM's cardiac surgeon gets lifetime achievement award - Jul 20, 2009
- PM undergoes routine health checkup at AIIMS - Jan 31, 2010
Tags: all india institute of medical sciences, arterial blockages, beating heart, best doctors, cardiac surgery, coronary bypass surgery, full measure, heart institute, india institute, information commission, jetli, manmohan, manmohan singh, member panel, pmo, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, private doctor, public hospitals, ramakant