Pakistan committed to eradicate polio this year: GilaniJanuary 28th, 2012 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 28 (IANS) Pakistan is committed to eradicate polio by the end of 2012, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani has told Microsoft chief Bill Gates.
Talking to Bill Gates in Davos, Switzerland, Gilani Friday said Pakistan would use all resources to rid the country of the crippling disease, it was reported here by the Associated Press of Pakistan.
Gilani is in Davos for the World Economic Forum.
Bill Gates, who contributes about $1 billion annually to the eradication of polio globally, stressed the need to expand the reach of the Polio Eradication Programme in Pakistan.
Gilani said he was personally supervising the polio eradication efforts and had also asked the provinces to double their efforts towards making Pakistan a polio-free country.
He said that Pakistan was taking all measures and employing innovative strategies to stop the spread of polio virus.
He added surveillance officers have been appointed in high-risk areas to strengthen the implementation process.
In neighbouring India, it has been a year since the last polio case was reported.
- Gates worried over polio in Pakistan - Jun 18, 2011
- Pakistani daily lauds India for no polio cases in 2011 - Jan 14, 2012
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- Pakistan asks WHO for help on dengue - Jan 29, 2012
- Bill Gates discusses polio, other health related issues in Pakistan with Zardari - Apr 07, 2011
- Polio-free Southeast Asia within reach: WHO - Sep 05, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- Polio may be eradicated from India in two-three years: Gates - Mar 24, 2011
- Fresh funding to eradicate polio - Oct 29, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Eradicate polio from Pakistan, says Gilani - Oct 25, 2011
- WHO lauds India's year without polio (Lead) - Jan 13, 2012
- 'Low chances of polio coming to India from Pakistan' - May 31, 2012
- India faces polio threat from Pakistan: Minister - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: 1 billion, bill gates, chief bill, davos switzerland, eradication efforts, high risk, implementation, islamabad, jan 28, measures, microsoft, neighbouring india, pakistan, polio, polio eradication, polio virus, prime minister, risk areas, surveillance, world economic forum