Over 1,100 bitten by dogs in Tamil Nadu town since JanuaryApril 13th, 2009 - 5:49 pm ICT by IANS
Bodinayakkanur (Tamil Nadu), April 13 (IANS) In this small Tamil Nadu town, man’s best friend has turned against him, as over 1,100 people have been bitten by rabid dogs since January, a health official said.
“Between January and March 31, a total of 1,085 persons were bitten by rabid dogs and 33 instances have been reported since then. The government’s grant of Rs.250,000 to sterilise the afflicted dogs will reduce the menace soon,” a government hospital official S. Manoharan said Sunday.
“Mercifully, there have been no deaths so far. The problem is serious owing to a shortage of sanitation workers who also are meant to trap stray dogs,” Manoharan added.
P. Devi, a college student said: “At least five persons are being bitten every day after twilight. Most of us are using private transport to avoid any such incident. Two-wheelers too are useless as dogs chase riders during daytime and after nightfall.”
Known for its spices, this little town is situated some 375 km south of state capital Chennai at the foothills of the Western Ghats.
- Srinagar's 'dogged' problem giving nightmares - Feb 13, 2011
- Morning walks on halt as dogs take to streets - Jan 23, 2011
- Anger, concern after dog bites at Fatehpuri Sikri (Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Has Srinagar gone to the dogs, residents ask (Jammu and Kashmir Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Commute death sentence in Gandhi case: PUDR - Aug 26, 2011
- Police prevent novel anti-stray dogs protest in Srinagar - Jul 11, 2012
- Screen 'Kitty Porn' in Karnataka assembly, says PETA - Feb 27, 2012
- Eicher Motors to expand two-wheeler production - Jul 12, 2011
- MCD takes up sanitation work in Games Village, venues - Sep 29, 2010
- Barking dogs never bite? In Srinagar they do (Feature) - Jul 13, 2011
- Gurgaon ropes in NGOs to sterilise stray dogs - Aug 28, 2009
- Hundred dog bites a day and counting in Srinagar - Apr 11, 2012
- Mahindra to foray into motorcycle segment next year - Nov 04, 2009
- 'Civic bodies moving dogs to undisclosed locations' - Oct 06, 2010
- TVS Motor logs five percent sales growth in January - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: best friend, chase, chennai, deaths, government hospital, health official, instances, manoharan, nightfall, private transport, rabid dogs, rs 250, sanitation workers, spices, stray dogs, twilight, two wheelers, western ghats