Oral steroids bring on vitamin D deficiencySeptember 30th, 2011 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Sep 30 (IANS) People on oral steroids are twice as likely to suffer from severe vitamin D deficiency than the general populace, says new research.
The study on 31,000 children and adults, suggests that physicians should monitor vitamin D levels more diligently in patients being treated with oral steroids.
When doctors prescribe steroids, they should also get the vitamin D level of patients measured, said Amy Skversky, assistant professor of paediatrics at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Severe vitamin D deficiency is known to be linked with bone softening, rickets, and muscle weakness.
Steroids have been shown to cause vitamin D deficiency, possibly by increasing levels of an enzyme that inactivates the vitamin, according to an Einstein College statement.
Smaller studies involving people often prescribed steroids (children with asthma and patients with Crohn’s disease and lupus) have found significantly reduced vitamin D levels in them, reports The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.
The risk was particularly pronounced for steroid users under 18 years, who were 14 times more likely to have a severe vitamin D deficiency compared with young non-steroid users.
- Low vitamin D worsens lupus: Study - May 08, 2012
- Too much of sunblock 'causing a rise in Vit D deficiency in children' - Feb 03, 2011
- Kids with less Vitamin D more likely to have allergies - Feb 25, 2011
- Low vitamin D levels linked to lower lung function in asthmatic kids - Apr 16, 2010
- Going out in the midday sun may be good for you - Dec 17, 2010
- Low vitamin D levels associated with allergies in children - Feb 25, 2011
- Modern lifestyle bringing back rickets to Britain - Nov 14, 2010
- Treating Vit D deficiency could ease depression - Jun 27, 2012
- Study shows reduced Vitamin D absorption in Crohn's disease patients - Jan 19, 2011
- Majority of obese teens are vitamin D deficient - Apr 28, 2011
- Lack of vitamin D 'puts IBD patients at greater risk of osteoporosis' - Oct 19, 2010
- Vitamin D deficiency linked to reduced lung function - Feb 01, 2011
- Low Vitamin D in kids linked to anaemia - May 02, 2011
- Vitamin D deficiency linked to wide array of diseases - Aug 24, 2010
- Vitamin D deficiencies linked to onset of autoimmune lung disease - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: 18 years, albert einstein, albert einstein college, albert einstein college of medicine, assistant professor, asthma, college of medicine, crohn s disease, einstein college of medicine, endocrinology and metabolism, journal of clinical endocrinology, journal of clinical endocrinology and metabolism, lupus, muscle weakness, oral steroids, paediatrics, populace, rickets, steroid users, vitamin d deficiency