Only one new swine flu case in IndiaDecember 24th, 2010 - 9:56 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 24 (IANS) Only one swine flu case was reported in India during the last week, the health ministry said Friday.According to the health ministry’s data, only one case of swine flu was reported in Tamil Nadu between Dec 13 and Dec 19.
“Till date, samples from 202,190 persons have been tested for Influenza A (H1N1) in government laboratories and a few private laboratories across the country and 46,066 (22.8 percent) of them have been found positive,” a health ministry official said.
“No death reported during the week,” the official said.
Swine flu, which has claimed 1,236 lives this year, was at its peak during the monsoon months of May-September. The H1N1 virus which causes the flu needs moisture and heat to grow, said experts.
“The virus needs high temperature and moisture to breed. So with winters approaching the numbers have come down,” he added.
A total of 1,489 flu cases were reported during 2009, the year in which it was declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organisation.
A total of 2,725 lives have been lost in the country to the flu since 2009. Over 45,908 people were affected by the virus during this period.
- Two die of swine flu, 11 new cases surface - Nov 30, 2010
- Swine flu makes comeback, 20 cases in a week - Dec 28, 2010
- 10 swine flu cases reported last week - Jan 12, 2011
- '2009 swine flu pandemic won't return to Maharashtra' - Apr 04, 2012
- Swine flu: 58 deaths, 629 cases in past one week - Aug 06, 2010
- Mexican swine flu outbreak kills 29, infects nearly 1,500 - Jan 28, 2012
- 'No mutation of swine flu virus' - Apr 11, 2012
- Five more swine flu cases in Lucknow - Aug 23, 2012
- Man dies of bird flu in China - Jan 23, 2012
- Swine flu rising in Russia, Europe - Jan 17, 2011
- 30 more cases of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 12, 2010
- Swine flu claims 10 victims in Britain - Dec 13, 2010
- First swine flu death in Mumbai - Apr 13, 2012
- Woman dies of swine flu in Delhi, toll rises to 15 - Aug 13, 2010
- One dies of swine flu in Delhi - Aug 31, 2010
Tags: dec 24, flu, flu cases, global pandemic, government laboratories, h1n1, health ministry, high temperature, India, influenza, ministry official, New Delhi, private laboratories, swine flu, virus, world health organisation