One dead, 122 ill due to food poisoning in Sri Lanka (Lead)March 24th, 2009 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, March 24 (IANS) At least one person died and 122 people, including school children, were hospitalised Tuesday after falling sick due to food poisoning in Sri Lanka’s eastern port city of Trincomalee district, officials here said.
Medical officials in Trincomalee said that at least 93 school children, 28 civilians and a women police constable were taken to the Trincomalee base hospital after eating buns for their breakfast Tuesday.
Health Ministry spokesman M.D. Wanninayakka said that the initial investigations have revealed that the children have fallen ill after eating buns from a bakery in the Trincomalee town.
“We have sealed the particular bakery and investigation is underway,” Wanninayakka told IANS.
It was only last week that a 12-year-old school girl died and 27 people were hospitalised in the southern Matara town, after receiving vaccination for Rubella, a viral infection.
According to reports, the health ministry investigations have revealed that “the non-adherence to the instruction by the medical team when administering the Rubella vaccine” was the cause for the disaster.
The health ministry spokesman, however, said that a special two-member World Health Organisation team comprising immunization and vaccination specialists Madhav Ram from India and Stephen Guichard have launched a separate clinical investigation into it.
- Schoolgirl dies, 27 more hospitalised after vaccination in Sri Lanka - Mar 20, 2009
- Rajapaksa halts vaccination drive after girl's death (Lead) - Mar 20, 2009
- Food poisoning kills one in Sri Lanka - Mar 24, 2009
- 56 Cambodian kids die of unknown disease - Jul 07, 2012
- Combo MMRV vaccine linked to 2-fold risk of seizures - Jun 28, 2010
- US kids get measles after travelling abroad - May 06, 2011
- World's oldest Easter hot cross bun smells fresh even today! - Apr 02, 2010
- 'Cubans immune to dozens of diseases' - Jan 09, 2012
- 4 Gujarat children die after being given measles drops - Mar 16, 2011
- India to scale up its immunisation programmes: Azad - Aug 02, 2011
- Three infants die after vaccination - Mar 14, 2010
- 70 hospitalised with food poisoning in Chhattisgarh - Feb 21, 2012
- 37 seminary students hospitalised in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 21, 2011
- Five-in-one vaccine led to child deaths: experts - Jul 29, 2010
- Child dies after vaccination, doctors face action - Jul 22, 2011
Tags: clinical investigation, district officials, food poisoning, guichard, health ministry, hospitalised, initial investigations, medical officials, medical team, member world, ministry spokesman, old school girl, organisation team, police constable, rubella vaccine, trincomalee district, trincomalee town, viral infection, women police, world health organisation