Omani nationals walk 250 km for drug abuse awarenessJune 3rd, 2011 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Muscat, June 3 (IANS) Two young Omani nationals in a bid to create awareness on drug abuse in the country have walked a distance of 250 km.
Khamis al Hatali and Helmi al Kindy were supported in their endeavour by the Al Hayat Association, an NGO that works in the field of psychological healthcare for drug and psychotropic substance addicts, Oman’s The Week newspaper reported.
Khamis is an experienced walker having undertaken several such activities in the past.
“We all know that drugs are dangerous but people still fall prey. I want to help Omani youth so that they can stay away from drugs,” he said.
The walk was the first such experience for Helmi. He had not walked such a great length in one go but claimed he enjoyed it.
“This walk is an achievement, especially for me,” he said.
During the entire length of the walk, the duo visited every government hospital and health centre they encountered during their journey, interacting with people and speaking about the negative aspects of drug use.
Sheikh Mohammed bin Said al Kalbani, minister of social development, said: “The need of the hour is to spread awareness about the dangers of drug abuse and motivate volunteers to take up the cause.”
- Geojit BNP Paribas forms joint venture in Oman - Sep 21, 2011
- Omani, Indian designers team up for a cause - Mar 01, 2012
- Omani university develops low-fat 'halwa' - Feb 21, 2011
- Oman to allow temple, gurdwara - Nov 24, 2010
- Abu Dhabi, Oman oil companies sign finance deal - Apr 21, 2011
- Antony meets Indian diaspora in Omam - May 18, 2010
- UAE to create database on drug addicts - Jun 16, 2011
- Shah Rukh, Lara to perform at Muscat Festival - Jan 24, 2011
- Iran, Oman commanders discuss military cooperation - May 12, 2012
- Usha Uthup to perform at charity event in Muscat - Apr 14, 2011
- Oman Oil to invest $3 bn in Indian fertilizer plants - Sep 06, 2010
- Three Asians jailed for forcing women into prostitution in Oman - Jan 30, 2011
- India, Oman armies to hold joint military exercise in 2011 - May 18, 2010
- Ritu Beri, Pankaj Udhas to take part in Spirit of India in Oman event in Muscat - Jan 17, 2011
- Six jailed for offending Oman sultan on Facebook - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: abuse awareness, al hayat, drug abuse, drug use, endeavour, government hospital, health centre, helmi, interacting with people, journey, june 3, kindy, mohammed, nationals, negative aspects, ngo, oman, prey, psychotropic, volunteers