Olive tree in Italy to be named after Michelle ObamaMay 20th, 2012 - 10:18 am ICT by IANS
Rome, May 20 (IANS) A 1,400-year-old olive tree in Italy will be dedicated to American first lady Michelle Obama for her efforts to promote healthy eating.
The dedication ceremony will be held May 25 in southern Puglia region during a festival to celebrate Italy’s Mediterranean diet, Italian news agency AKI reported.
During the ceremony, the seventh-century tree dubbed “the Queen” will be dedicated to the US president’s wife as recognition for her work to educate Americans about the importance of a healthy diet that encompasses many of the eating traditions in Italy and other Mediterranean countries.
Some of the tree’s oil will be sent to the White House starting this year. The tree is able to produce 100 kg of oil per year.
Michelle Obama has used her high-profile position to educate Americans about the importance of healthy food.
She has planted an organic garden at the White House, visited schools, made television appearances and targeted military mess halls in her campaign for better eating.
The Mediterranean diet - based on fruit, vegetables and olive oil as well as a daily glass of red wine - has been recognised worldwide as a way to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- Michelle Obama to lead US delegation to London Olympics - Mar 14, 2012
- Mediterranean diet keeps the brain fit - Dec 31, 2010
- 'Mediterranean diet' can help one live longer - Aug 03, 2011
- Eat like the Greeks to boost your brainpower - Apr 27, 2010
- Olive oil enriched diet protects bone - Aug 16, 2012
- Low-carb diets better for easing weight: Study - Dec 13, 2011
- Mediterranean diet a sound recipe for healthy living - Mar 08, 2011
- Michelle Obama hula-hoops 142 revolutions at White House health fair! - Oct 22, 2009
- Michelle Obama to host NY farm-to-table luncheon for diplomats' spouses - Sep 18, 2010
- Mediterranean-style diet good for heart - Jun 16, 2010
- Olive oil cuts risk of stroke by 41 percent - Jun 16, 2011
- How a Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil protects against heart disease - Jul 01, 2010
- Mediterranean diet improves heart - Jun 16, 2010
- Italian drone completes first surveillance mission - Aug 13, 2011
- Michelle Obama to write book on White House garden - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: aki, dedication ceremony, first lady, fruit vegetables, healthy diet, healthy food, healthy lifestyle, italian news agency, mediterranean countries, mediterranean diet, mess halls, michelle obama, olive oil, olive tree, organic garden, profile position, puglia region, red wine, television appearances, traditions in italy