New way to inject oxygen excites medical scienceJune 30th, 2012 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 30 (IANS) A new way of administering oxygen into blood, that could allow people to stay alive without breathing, has been discovered.
The amazing breakthrough could change medical science by eliminating the need to keep patients breathing during complex operations, Daily Mail reported Saturday.
The procedure, which works by injecting oxygen molecules enclosed in fatty molecules directly into the bloodstream, could grant people an extra 30 minutes of life when they cannot breathe.
John Kheir, of the Boston Children’s Hospital, was inspired to begin his groundbreaking research after he experienced a patient’s tragic death, according to ScienceDaily.
He found that using fatty molecules called lipids was the best way to retain oxygen after using sound waves to trap the two substances together into particles so small they can only be seen with the help of a microscope.
The particles were then made up into a liquid which is very heavily oxygenated - carrying “three to four times the oxygen content of our own red blood cells”, according to Kheir.
- Breakthrough can re-grow blood vessels in heart - Feb 17, 2012
- Coming soon: a diving suit that turns humans into fish - Nov 22, 2010
- Amazing jab cuts down damage in heart attack by 60 percent - Apr 19, 2011
- Synthetic blood gets closer to reality - Jan 11, 2011
- Targeted photodynamic therapy offers hope for skin cancer patients - Apr 12, 2011
- Melts-on-tongue 'wafer' can work 'faster' than Viagra - Oct 05, 2010
- Anti-impotence wafer works faster than Viagra? - Oct 05, 2010
- Ground-Breaking Dutch Research Finds That 'Spare Tyre' Could Save Lives - Nov 17, 2010
- Spider venom 'could be the new Viagra' - Mar 08, 2011
- Super microscope helps pinpoint our immunity 'switch' - Jun 06, 2011
- Spider bite can trigger four-hour long erections - Mar 08, 2011
- Sleep disorder doubles cancer risk - Sep 05, 2012
- Omega-3 fatty acids limit smoking damage - Apr 22, 2012
- Finding paves way for new personalized treatments to target inflammation - Apr 05, 2011
- Scientists locate malaria parasites' Achilles heal - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,