New technique to help spinal injury patients lose weightMay 24th, 2010 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS)The Indian Spinal Injuries Centre (ISIC) has devised a weight reduction programme for patients who put on extra weight due to limited movement and lack of exercise because of spinal injuries.
The programme will be a combination of therapies like hydrotherapy, dance therapy, yoga and massages in addition to herbal remedies.
“Extra pounds place extra stress on the shoulders resulting in pain and damage to the shoulder joints, thereby affecting mobility,” said Chitra Kataria, head of the rehabilitation centre at ISIC.
Besides a balanced diet, a supervised programme will thus be of great help to such patients to control their weight.
“The weight reduction programme, therefore, will be of help since it will be done under the supervision of trained professionals who understand the limitations of spinal cord patients,” Kataria added.
- Most spinal injuries in India caused by accidents: Study - Oct 11, 2010
- Fall from heights accounts for second highest spinal injuries - May 19, 2011
- 'Stem cells can be used to treat spine injuries' - Oct 29, 2010
- New antibody shows promising results in spinal cord injury - Aug 30, 2012
- 'Zero-exercise during pregnancy sows the seeds of backache' - Mar 07, 2012
- Pioneering surgery helps paralysed man move hand - May 17, 2012
- Peer counselling for spinal injury patients a must: experts - Oct 09, 2009
- Spa culture catching on big way in India - Aug 09, 2010
- Scientists develop toothy way to treat spinal injuries - Dec 04, 2011
- Ayurveda and allopathy come together to heal spinal ailments - Jun 29, 2009
- New treatment could help minimize nerve damage in spinal cord injuries - May 04, 2011
- Single shot relieves pain in spinal injuries - Dec 02, 2011
- Now stem cell treatment for paralysed patients - Aug 18, 2010
- Genes that regenerate nerves after injury isolated - Sep 22, 2011
- Human neural stem cells 'can restore mobility in chronic spinal cord injury cases' - Aug 20, 2010
Tags: balanced diet, dance therapy, herbal remedies, injury patients, isic, lack of exercise, massages, may 24, New Delhi, rehabilitation centre, shoulder joints, shoulders, spinal cord, spinal cord patients, spinal injuries, stress, supervision, therapy yoga, weight reduction