New combination pill may improve multiple cholesterol disordersNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:26 am ICT by admin
Simcor combines prescription niacin and simvastatin, two FDA-approved medications, to target good cholesterol (HDL), bad cholesterol (LDL), and triglycerides in a single pill.
Niacin is known to raise HDL and statins are known to reduce LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
In the study, the patients were given Simcor combination containing 20 mg simvastatin and it was found that the patients’ had significantly better reductions in non-HDL, in HDL and triglyceride levels compared to 20 mg simvastatin therapy alone.
And the patients receiving a Simcor combination with 40 mg simvastatin experienced reductions in non-HDL comparable to 80 mg high-dose simvastatin alone, and significant improvements in HDL and triglycerides.
“These results indicate that Simcor can go beyond what simvastatin alone can provide,” Ballantyne said.
“This type of combination approach could be an important tool in treating the increasing number of patients with complex lipid disorders, the metabolic syndrome and heart disease,” she said.
Treatment of high cholesterol has historically centred on the use of statins, including simvastatin, to lower LDL cholesterol, which has been the primary target of therapy.
“We now place more importance on comprehensive cholesterol management, including management of HDL levels, in impacting cardiovascular risk,” Ballantyne said.
“Medications like Simcor can help patients address multiple problems with one pill,” she added. (ANI)
- Soy beats milk in cholesterol lowering: Study - Jan 19, 2011
- Two therapies that may slow diabetic eye disease progression found - Jul 24, 2010
- Statin can prevent strokes, besides lowering lipids - Jan 05, 2012
- Weight loss from surgery cuts risk for cardiovascular disease in women - Sep 17, 2010
- Novel drug reduces bad cholesterol without statin side effects - Mar 11, 2010
- Drugs combo 'yields up to nearly 10 pc weight loss' - Apr 11, 2011
- Increasing blood levels of 'good' cholesterol 'cuts heart disease risk' - Nov 18, 2010
- High levels of 'good' cholesterol linked to lower risk of Alzheimer's - Dec 14, 2010
- Routine periodic fasting good for health, heart - Apr 04, 2011
- Eat nuts to bring down cholesterol levels - May 11, 2010
- Gastric bypass surgery 'can help lower cholesterol' - Jun 26, 2010
- New polypill halves heart disease and stroke risk - May 26, 2011
- Bariatric surgery cuts long-term cardiovascular risk in diabetics - Mar 31, 2011
- New discovery may lead to better cholesterol drugs - Oct 06, 2010
- Eat nuts to improve cholesterol levels - May 11, 2010
Tags: ballantyne, cardiovascular disease prevention, cholesterol disorders, combination approach, combination pill, fda, hdl, heart centre, high cholesterol, lower ldl cholesterol, medications, niacin, reductions, significantly, simcor, simvastatin, statins, target, triglyceride levels, triglycerides