New California law bans trans fat in restaurants from todayJanuary 2nd, 2010 - 12:12 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
California, Jan 1 (THAINDIAN NEWS) There is a new Californian law, which prohibits restaurants from cooking with trans fat, takes effect. And this law came into effect due to the efforts of former Tiburon resident Stephen Joseph. Today hundreds of new California laws are put into effect. However this law was signed in 2008 but it wasn’t enforced for 2 years to give grace time to allow the restaurants to convert their cooking processes. And the bakeries have another year to comply with the law. For them the law will take force on 1st Jan 2011.
“Tiburon was the first trans-fat-free city in the country. It can take a lot of pride in that,” said Joseph, an attorney who was proactive in the campaign that resulted in all 18 of Tiburon’s restaurants voluntarily going trans fat free in 2004. “We think once California has gone trans fat free it’s going to be irresistible in other places,” Joseph said. Chez Bornia, chef and co-owner of San Rafael Joe’s, said he substituted rice oil for shortening numerous years ago. “It’s more expensive, but it’s a lot better for you,” Bornia said.
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger had signed the measure in 2008, but all the restaurants were given time till 1st Jan 2010, to make sure they could adapt. Schwarzenegger called the new law a strong step toward a healthier future.
- California bans trans fats in restaurants - Jul 26, 2008
- Beware The Trans Fatty Acids - Apr 25, 2010
- Marijuana Decriminalization Bill Signed by Gov Schwarzenegger - Oct 02, 2010
- US Supreme Court overturns California video game law - Jun 28, 2011
- Maria Shriver caught driving while talking on cell phone - Oct 15, 2009
- Schwarzenegger, wife reunite for birthday - Aug 02, 2011
- Jerry Brown Returns As Governor Of California - Jan 03, 2011
- The Californian State To Deliver An Imbursement Of $20 Million To The Kidnapped Victim, Jaycee Dugard - Jul 02, 2010
- McDonald's, Burger King now 'serving healthier foods' - Jul 15, 2010
- Shriver to move near Schwarzenegger - Jul 09, 2011
- Federal judge overturns California gay marriage ban (Lead, changing dateline) - Aug 05, 2010
- Which are Delhi's good restaurants, asks Arnie - Feb 02, 2012
- Dr Oz Features Alternative Medicines - Sep 22, 2011
- Schwarzenegger to meet former mistress, son - Jul 12, 2011
- California Governor Schwarzenegger applauds lifting of ban against same-sex marriage - Aug 13, 2010
Tags: arnold schwarzenegger, bakeries, bornia, california law, california laws, californian, co owner, governor arnold schwarzenegger, grace time, new california, pride, restaurants, san rafael, tiburon