NACO, UNAIDS jointly launch campaign against AIDS for northeastern regionNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:08 am ICT by admin
The programme also aims at developing innovative and state-specific programmes.
Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Panabaka Lakshmi said that the Northeastern states are high HIV/AIDS prevalence states and therefore the government wants to take special care in the region.
The programme includes reaching out to the far-flung districts by developing a network of services in partnership with state machinery, as well as other community-based services.
The five-year initiative is supported with an 8.9-million-dollars grant from the Australian Government.
“Australia is going to commit around nine million dollars over the next five years to combat AIDS in four of the northeastern states - Manipur, Meghalaya, Nagaland and Mizoram,” said John McCarthy, the Australian High Commissioner.
Two of the six high HIV/AIDS prevalent states are in the Northeast, namely Manipur and Nagaland. Estimates show that 30 per cent of the country’s ‘injecting’ drug users are in the Northeast.
A latest survey, conducted by National Family Health Survey (NFHS-3) of India, found a HIV prevalence rate of 0.28 percent for the population in the age group of 15-49 years.
Prevalence is 60 percent higher among men than in women, at 0.36 percent and 0.22 percent respectively.
NFHS-3 found HIV prevalence to be particularly high in Manipur (1.1 percent) and Andhra Pradesh (1 percent). (ANI)
- India to avert 3 million HIV cases: World Bank - Nov 30, 2011
- 'Domestic funding enough to take AIDS programme ahead' - May 09, 2012
- Don't neglect people with HIV, PM tells ministries - Jul 04, 2011
- India undeterred by global donors' pullout for AIDS control (Dec 1 is World AIDS Day) - Nov 30, 2011
- 'India's AIDS control mission a successful model' - Feb 06, 2012
- 56 percent drop in HIV infections since 2000 - Aug 24, 2012
- Lakhs counselled on AIDS, says Azad - Aug 25, 2010
- Thailand gives Nagaland condom vending machine - Aug 29, 2012
- Alarming HIV/AIDS surge among Pakistan's drug addicts - Jan 23, 2012
- Health ministry wary of merging AIDS department with NRHM - May 03, 2012
- Focus on states with low AIDS prevalence, high vulnerability: Azad (Second Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- HIV/AIDS cases on the rise in Assam - Jun 11, 2010
- Sexually transmitted infections drop in Tamil Nadu: Survey - Nov 04, 2011
- 'Maharashtra has 18 percent of India's HIV-AIDS population' - Jul 04, 2011
- AIDS welfare cost may effect growth: Report - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: australian high commissioner, combat aids, family health survey, family welfare, government australia, hiv aids, hiv prevalence, initiative, john mccarthy, launch, manipur, million dollars, naco, nagaland, national family health survey, nfhs, northeastern region, northeastern states, prevalence rate, unaids