Mystery illness: nails grow out of hair folliclesAugust 10th, 2012 - 11:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 10 (IANS) A woman has been labelled a medical mystery after falling victim to an unidentified illness that causes nails to grow out of her hair follicles, the Daily Mail reported Friday.
Shanyna Isom, 28, suffered an allergic reaction three years ago which caused the debilitating syndrome, which has left her struggling to walk and carry out daily chores.
The university student was left covered in hard scabs as “nails” replaced the hair on her body and doctors are still in the dark about how to cure Shanyna’s mysterious illness, according to the newspaper.
Isom lives with her family in Memphis and was in her first year at university when the nightmare began.
In September 2009 she was prescribed steroids after suffering an asthma attack and within hours the law student was “itching” all over her body. Shanyna became bedridden as the illness took over and doctors tried to determine what was wrong.
In 2011 she began treatment in Baltimore where doctors established that the bumps were in fact human nails slowly covering Shanyna’s body.
Today doctors have yet to diagnose her but have been able to control her symptoms.
She relies on family and friends for financial help and they have rallied around her for support.
- Julie McCabe goes into coma after an allergic reaction to hair dye - Nov 23, 2011
- How kissing can spread allergies too! - Nov 15, 2010
- Desiree Jennings' Illness Is Bizarre, Say Doctors - Jul 24, 2010
- 23-year-old woman ages 50 years in just days! - Oct 13, 2011
- Housewife works out recipe for regrowing hair - Jan 18, 2011
- Beware: A kiss could trigger allergic reaction - Nov 21, 2010
- Swedish girl 'grows back face' after suffering allergic reaction to Paracetamol - Jan 13, 2010
- Woman with rare hormonal disorder operated upon (with images) - Dec 27, 2011
- Discovery to help balding men regrow hair - Jun 26, 2012
- Bald Miss Delaware to take part in Miss America beauty pageant - Jan 06, 2011
- Oprah Winfrey Swears By Andre Walker's Hair Products - Nov 20, 2010
- Delhi's starved sisters remained locked up for 6 years (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Plants 'can cause a garden variety of pesky skin problems' - Feb 06, 2011
- Russia poplars bring money - and masks - to Kashmir - May 27, 2011
- Needle removed from woman's head - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: allergic reaction, asthma, asthma attack, daily chores, daily mail, doctors, falling victim, family and friends, financial help, hair follicles, isom, medical mystery, memphis, mysterious illness, mystery illness, nails, nightmare, scabs, steroids, unidentified illness