Mysterious disease toll is 36 in BiharJune 7th, 2012 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, June 7 (IANS) The deaths of five more children because of a mysterious disease in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts has taken the death toll to 36 in 11 days, officials said Thursday.
The government is yet to identify the cause of the deaths.
Angry over the government’s failure to identify the cause of deaths, dozens of people including the parents and relatives of the victims, protested in Muzaffarpur, about 70 km from here.
Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey and Principal Secretary (Health) Amarjit Sinha denied reports that the children were dying due to suspected encephalitis.
“The causes are yet to be ascertained,” Choubey said.
Sinha said most deaths were due to excessive heat, dehydration and malnutrition.
Till date, 28 children have died in Muzaffarpur and eight in Gaya.
Over four dozen children suffering from the mysterious disease have been admitted to hospitals in both districts.
Nearly a dozen are battling for life, said a health official.
Some doctors and health officials have reportedly claimed that the children were suffering from symptoms similar to encephalitis.
Last year, encephalitis, a mosquito-borne disease, claimed nearly 150 lives in the two districts
- Mysterious disease toll is 31 in Bihar - Jun 06, 2012
- 73 kids die of 'mysterious' disease in Bihar - Jun 08, 2012
- Bihar's mystery disease is acute encephalitis syndrome: minister - Jun 12, 2012
- Four more kids die of suspected encephalitis in Bihar - Jun 05, 2012
- Bihar seeks central help on mysterious disease - Jun 09, 2012
- Declare killer disease an epidemic, says Bihar - Jun 11, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 7 more in Bihar, death toll 150 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Five more children die of mystery disease in Bihar - Jun 20, 2011
- Encephalitis kills four more in Bihar, toll 204 - Jun 19, 2012
- Bihar's mystery disease identified as toll rises to 41 - Jun 23, 2011
- Mystery disease kills four more in Bihar - Jun 21, 2011
- Encephalitis claims 9 more lives in Bihar, toll now 159 - Jun 16, 2012
- Bihar to give Rs 50,000 for encephalitis victims - Jun 13, 2012
- Encephalitis kills 4 more in Bihar, toll mounts to 147 - Jun 15, 2012
- Mystery disease kills three more in Bihar (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
Tags: amarjit, ashwani, death toll, deaths, dehydration, encephalitis, excessive heat, gaya, health minister, health official, health officials, malnutrition, mosquito, mosquito borne disease, muzaffarpur, mysterious disease, patna, principal secretary, relatives, sinha