Murrah milk drives Haryana’s white revolutionAugust 22nd, 2012 - 3:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 22 (IANS) With dairy farming picking up in the state, and with the rising popularity of the Murrah breed of buffaloes, milk production in Haryana has gone up by over 14 lakh tonnes, the state’s animal husbandry and dairy farming department said.
“The total annual milk production in Haryana has increased from 52.59 lakh tonnes in 2010-11 to 66.61 lakh tonnes in 2011-12,” a spokesman of the department said here Wednesday.
“The per capita per day availability of milk in the state has shot up to 708 grams as against the national average of just 262 grams,” he said.
Haryana is famous for its high milk yielding Murrah breed of buffaloes. Various schemes initiated by the state government have enabled farmers to take to dairy farming in recent years.
Under a scheme to promote the Murrah breed, farmers are being provided an attractive cash incentive ranging from Rs.5,000 to Rs.25,000 on the basis of average daily peak milk yield.
“A total of 53,415 buffaloes were identified for grant of the incentive during last seven years and Rs.26.85 crore was distributed. This popular scheme resulted in the procurement and conservation of good quality Murrah germ-plasm,” he said.
Under another scheme launched in 2009, the department has helped set up 558 hi-tech and 19,615 mini dairy units to provide self-employment to unemployed youth in Haryana.
- Stadium comes alive with buffaloes on the ramp! - Feb 22, 2012
- Buffaloes to walk the ramp in Haryana - Feb 21, 2012
- Haryana to set up 200 hi-tech mini-dairies - Jul 02, 2012
- Haryana buffalo sets record - Dec 01, 2009
- Haryana farmers can now own 'imported' calves - Nov 16, 2010
- UP plans to set up milk plant in Lucknow - Aug 08, 2012
- Haryana to import cattle semen - Dec 09, 2009
- Haryana looks at newer pastures for farming - Jan 01, 2011
- Karnataka to give interest-free loans to farmers - Mar 21, 2012
- Maharashtra welcomes lifting of ban on milk powder exports - Jun 02, 2012
- DS Group acquires dairy plant in Rajasthan - May 02, 2012
- Kerala to get milk from Maharashtra to meet shortages - Feb 11, 2010
- Haryana university to help Chinese improve buffalo breeds - Oct 24, 2009
- Haryana insures 125,000 cattle head of farmers, dairy owners - Dec 19, 2008
- Floods affect Himachal's trout breeding - Sep 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,