Movie snacks pile on the poundsNovember 20th, 2009 - 7:12 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Nov 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Movie patrons who watch movies in the theatre are more liable to pile on the pounds. Generally the regulars treat themselves to a medium popcorn and a soft drink could actually be eating the equivalent of three McDonald’s quarter-pounder burgers topped with a dozen scoops of butter, according to a US study.
A laboratory analysis of snacks sold at US cinemas and commissioned by the Center for Science and Public Interest (CSPI) found that a medium popcorn and soft drink contained 1,160 calories and a whooping three days’ worth, 60 grams of saturated fat.
“Who expects about 1,500 calories and three days’ worth of heart-stopping fat in a popcorn and soda combo? That’s the saturated fat of a stick of butter and the calories of two sticks of butter,” said CSPI senior nutritionist Jayne Hurley in a statement.
“Ultimately, our snack and refreshment options are driven by patron demand,” said Cinemark in a press release. “We frequently test market additional concessions alternatives, including trail mix and other low-fat snacks … nonetheless, our popcorn, fountain soda and candy offerings are by far our patrons’ most popular and expected offerings.”
The National Association of theatre owners released a press statement that said that, “Many of our patrons like and enjoy the traditional taste and aroma of theater popcorn, as they have for decades, [and] the movie theater industry has and will continue to respond to our customers’ preferences.”
- Movie popcorn + soda = calorie bomb - Nov 20, 2009
- Healthy snacks could lead to weight loss - Oct 15, 2010
- Milkshake having 2000 calories tops the list of the '20 Worst Drinks' - May 30, 2010
- Today is National Popcorn Day - Jan 19, 2010
- Sony's chairman urges for healthier alternatives to popcorn in cinemas - Mar 17, 2010
- Sheer habit leads to mindless snacking - Sep 02, 2011
- Big bucket cinema snacks 'should get calorie X-rating' - Feb 28, 2010
- Eating time too impacts weight gain, shows study - Jul 11, 2012
- New York bans oversized sugary drinks to fight obesity - Sep 14, 2012
- America's worst drink, 2,000-calorie milkshake, equals to eating 68 pieces of bacon - May 27, 2010
- Disney to ban junk food ads on programmes for kids - Jun 06, 2012
- Diet drinks could make you pile on pounds - Jun 29, 2011
- 'Stop grazing, exercising and eat fatty foods' to lose those pounds! - Nov 08, 2010
- 10 tips to keep your healthy habits intact during holidays - Nov 24, 2010
- Popcorn richer in antioxidants than many fruits - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: burgers, concessions, fountain soda, hurley, laboratory analysis, low fat snacks, movie theater, nutritionist, patrons, public interest, quarter pounder, refreshment, regulars, saturated fat, soda combo, soft drink, stick of butter, theater popcorn, traditional taste, two sticks