Most doctors counsel weight loss in vainOctober 5th, 2010 - 3:52 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Oct 5 (IANS) Most doctors are spending a good deal of time counselling their patients about diet and weight loss, but in vain or so it seems.
Duke University Medical Center researchers in the US recorded the conversations between 40 primary care physicians and 461 of their overweight or obese patients over an 18-month period.
Investigators didn’t tell them what they were listening for - only that they wanted to record the encounters to see how doctors talked about health, reports the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
Turns out, doctors talk about weight quite a bit. Physicians discussed weight with patients in 69 percent of the encounters.
“We found that on average, physicians spent about three-and-a-half minutes talking about diet and weight loss,” said study leader Kathryn Pollak with the Duke Comprehensive Cancer Centre, according to a Duke release.
“That may not sound like much, but it amounts to about 15 percent of the time of the average office visit, which ran about 20 minutes.”
But the data showed that there was no difference in weight loss between those patients who received counseling and those who did not get it.
- Weight Watchers' members lose twice as many kilos - Sep 08, 2011
- Back to square one after dieting? Blame your hormones - Oct 30, 2011
- Nearly 25pc of overweight women think they're normal size: Study - Nov 23, 2010
- Weight loss helps boost low testosterone levels - Jun 26, 2012
- Better body image helps weight loss - Jul 18, 2011
- Drugs combo 'yields up to nearly 10 pc weight loss' - Apr 11, 2011
- Physicians have less respect for fat patients - Oct 23, 2009
- Low-energy diet can improve sleep disorder - Jun 02, 2011
- New study explains 'yo-yo effect' of slimming diets - Jan 13, 2011
- Diet and exercise 'more effective for weight loss when combined' - Apr 15, 2011
- Obese workers cost more to the company than medical expenditure - Oct 09, 2010
- Diet combined with exercise more effective in lowering BP - Feb 04, 2010
- Don't skip meals to shed weight - Jul 15, 2012
- Talking about weight might give kids eating disorder - Jul 02, 2012
- Obese and overweight women, kids think they weigh less - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,