Moscow to ban smoking in restaurants by 2014May 5th, 2012 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, May 5 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Moscow authorities have plans to ban smoking in restaurants and pubs by 2014, besides raising penalties for drinking alcohol in public places.
A draft plan published on the city’s department of economic policy and development’s website has revealed.
“The ban on smoking in public places will be introduced gradually. In 2012, a total ban on smoking is planned in educational and healthcare facilities, places of culture, state offices and public transportation. In 2013-2014 the ban will be extended to all workplaces, pubs and restaurants,” it said.
In addition, 20 percent fewer licences to sell alcohol will be granted in 2012-2014.
It is also expected to increase the fine for drinking alcoholic beverages, including beer, in public places to 1,000 rubles (about $35) from 100-300 rubles currently.
More adults smoke in Russia than in any other heavy-smoking country in the world, according to the World Health Organisation report released last year.
Nearly 40 percent of the country’s 143-million-strong population were smokers, it said.
Smoking-related diseases kill as many as 350,000-500,000 Russians every year, say officials.
In 2010, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin had approved a government anti-smoking programme which aims to reduce the number of adult smokers 25 percent by 2015.
- Russia to ban smoking indoors - Apr 21, 2012
- Russia to sell silver, diamonds worth over $300 mn - Feb 22, 2012
- Russia losing space race: Poll - Apr 13, 2012
- Russia to raise liquor, cigarette tax - Apr 29, 2012
- Scary pictures not to dissuade Russian smokers: Poll - May 13, 2012
- 10 Italian cities face bankruptcy: Report - Jul 25, 2012
- Russia to ban hookah smoking in public - Nov 10, 2011
- Moscow set to curb drinking, have less liquor stores - May 06, 2012
- Ukraine introduces ban on public smoking - May 25, 2012
- Putin bans internet alcohol advertisements - Jul 21, 2012
- China puts into place new smoking ban - May 02, 2011
- Experts may reach bottom of Antarctic lake in 2014 - Feb 09, 2012
- Vodka prices set for 30 percent hike in Russia - May 30, 2012
- Moscow to spend $76 million on stray dogs - Oct 05, 2011
- Like India, Russia to scare smokers with grim pictures - May 11, 2012
Tags: adult smokers, alcoholic beverages, ban on smoking in public places, draft plan, drinking alcohol, economic policy, healthcare facilities, moscow, organisation report, public transportation, pubs, ria novosti, rubles, russians, smoking in public places, smoking related diseases, state offices, vladimir putin, vm, world health organisation