More than half of Jharkhand’s kids underweight, women anaemicSeptember 1st, 2011 - 8:19 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 1 (IANS) Around 55 percent of children under three years in Jharkhand are underweight and 70 percent of women and adolescent girls anaemic, Unicef says.
Job Zachariah, Jharkhand chief of Unicef, said here Thursday: “Around 55 percent children of below three are underweight against the national average of around 40. In addition, more than 80 percent of children between six and 35 months and about 70 percent of women and adolescent girls in Jharkhand are anaemic.”
He further said: “Around 50,000 children below five years die every year in the state. Out of this, at least 25,000 deaths are indirectly caused by malnutrition and, therefore, can be prevented.”
Zachariah was speaking here at the inauguration of the National Nutrition Week which is being observed Sep 1-7.
All the 60,000 ‘anganwadis’ (childcare centres) in the state will initiate ‘annaprasan’ (first solid food/rice feeding ceremony) for children who have completed six months. A statewide awareness campaign will also be organised.
“Under-nutrition among children could be reduced by improving breastfeeding, strengthening immunisation, preventing child marriage (which leads to babies weighing less at birth), and ensuring better hygiene and clean drinking water.”
Jharkhand Social Welfare Minister Vimla Pradhan said: “The issue of malnutrition needs to be tackled at the community and family levels, using easily available remedies.” She also stressed the need to use the local language in awareness campaigns.
- Under-nutrition unacceptably high despite GDP growth: PM - Jan 10, 2012
- Half of Indian kids under five underweight: NGO - Feb 15, 2012
- Malnutrition a matter of national shame: PM - Jan 10, 2012
- 42 percent children under five underweight: Report - Jan 10, 2012
- Delhi government health scheme left 775 kids dead - Jun 20, 2011
- UNICEF to distribute 25,000 solar lamps - Apr 26, 2012
- Childcare needs of urban poor ignored: Experts - Apr 24, 2012
- WHO raises alarm over nutrition - Aug 09, 2011
- 73 percent kids in Indore slums are malnourished: Survey - Jan 04, 2012
- Bihar to check corruption in anganwadi centres - Jun 14, 2011
- Salient features of report on malnutrition and hunger - Jan 10, 2012
- Nearly 90 percent babies immunised in Haryana district - Apr 26, 2012
- Parents booked over malnourished kid's death (Lead) - Dec 16, 2011
- Government to launch nutrition campaign - Nov 14, 2011
- Malnutrition harming Madhya Pradesh kids: Unicef - Sep 06, 2011
Tags: adolescent girls, awareness campaign, awareness campaigns, babies, child marriage, clean drinking water, deaths, hygiene, inauguration, jharkhand, malnutrition, national nutrition, nutrition week, ranchi, six months, social welfare minister, solid food, statewide awareness, underweight women, unicef