More Chinese wives get HIV from husbandsJune 2nd, 2012 - 1:53 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 2 (IANS) The number of spouses infected with HIV by their partners is increasing in China, and most of those infected by spouses are females, China Daily reported Saturday.
“The report will help devise better intervention methods to curb rising HIV transmissions within married couples and significantly reduce new infections,” said Liu Kangmai, deputy director of the National Centre for AIDS/STD Prevention and Control (NCAIDS).
Released Friday, the report by NCAIDS, UN Women and UNAIDS was based on a 2011 study conducted in six cities and counties in Yunnan, Henan, Sichuan, Guangxi and Chongqing.
It surveyed more than 770 couples where one party was HIV positive.
According to estimates published by the health ministry, about 15 percent of the estimated 740,000 HIV/AIDS sufferers in China were infected by their spouses.
Of the 48,000 newly detected sufferers in 2011, at least 25 percent of the cases involving heterosexual sex were transmitted by spouses.
The proportion of sufferers infected by spouses quadrupled between 2004 and 2011.
Women currently account for nearly 30 percent of HIV/AIDS sufferers in China, official statistics show.
- China to have 1.2m HIV-positive people by the end of 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- China to have 1.2 mn HIV-affected people by 2015 - Dec 04, 2010
- HIV spreading among China's elderly: 80-year-old infected - Aug 06, 2011
- HIV poses increasing risk to Chinese women - Sep 08, 2010
- China spent $18 mn on HIV research in 2010 - Sep 15, 2011
- Around 60,000 new HIV/AIDS cases in China - Nov 01, 2011
- 37 Bangladeshis died due to AIDS in 2010 - Dec 01, 2010
- Sex now the main source of AIDS spread in drug-plagued China province - Nov 29, 2010
- Housewives now AIDS' worst victims in Nepal - Dec 01, 2010
- Eight mn worldwide receiving HIV treatment - Jul 19, 2012
- 56 percent drop in HIV infections since 2000 - Aug 24, 2012
- AIDS welfare cost may effect growth: Report - Apr 01, 2011
- Five percent rise in Russia's HIV cases - Mar 12, 2012
- Alarming HIV/AIDS surge among Pakistan's drug addicts - Jan 23, 2012
- Young women most vulnerable to HIV: UNAIDS - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: aids sufferers, beijing, china daily, china official, chongqing, deputy director, females, guangxi, health ministry, henan, hiv, hiv aids, intervention methods, liu, married couples, official statistics, sichuan, std prevention, transmissions, unaids