Mobile, projectors to educate kids on health, hygiene in GujaratMay 15th, 2012 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 15 (IANS) Armed with mobile phones and projectors, teachers in 150 anganwadis in Gujarat are all set to impart health and hygiene education to hundreds of kids while improving their teaching skills, activists said Tuesday.
NGO Sesame Workshop India and Metlife Foundation have come together for the initiative, and for the first time, would be using technology in the pilot project with an eye on spreading it across the country.
“The programme will enable 150 government-run pre-school centres or anganwadis in Surendranagar, Gujarat to improve teacher quality and enhance the classroom experience,” Sashwati Banerjee of Sesame told IANS.
“Supervisors will be enabled with mobile phones and projectors, which will be utilized to project multimedia content to children in the classroom… each of them will go through a refresher course every three months,” she added.
While all the 150 teachers would be getting a phone, the projectors have been limited to one per five anganwadis and would come loaded with interactive audio and video content.
A “Galli Galli Sim Sim Kit” named after a popular kids show, focusing on health, hygiene and nutrition will also be distributed.
“During early childhood, children form habits and tastes that last a lifetime providing a window of opportunity to promote positive behaviours that could last well into adulthood, such as eating healthy foods,washing hands with soap, and choosing healthy snacks,” said Banerjee.
- Qualcomm launches 3G radiophone project for children in India - Aug 31, 2011
- 'Galli Galli...' new season aims to teach kids about teamwork - Oct 07, 2010
- Cartoon show launches entertaining maths tutorials - Dec 11, 2010
- Radio show for Gurgaon school kids - Sep 27, 2011
- Care, classes for labourers' children at Games sites (With Images) - Apr 23, 2010
- Vodafone Foundation to provide education in 1,000 schools - Apr 26, 2012
- AnimGraphix launches 3D educational tool - Dec 22, 2010
- Kerala plans 140 specialized computer schools - Aug 01, 2010
- Five Kerala schools get infotech upgrade - Dec 29, 2010
- India's mobile handsets sales cross 50 mn in Jan-March - Jul 03, 2012
- Future mobile phones can project movies - Feb 29, 2012
- 20,000 classrooms in Kerala to be IT-enabled - Oct 15, 2009
- Assam, Microsoft in learning enhancement pact - Jun 13, 2012
- China's multimedia network has 16 mn users - Mar 20, 2012
- LG Projector Phone To Be Launched By AT&T - Dec 12, 2009
Tags: adulthood, banerjee, behaviours, classroom experience, eating healthy foods, galli galli sim sim, gujarat, health and hygiene, healthy snacks, hygiene education, metlife, metlife foundation, pilot project, refresher course, sesame workshop, teacher quality, using technology, video content, washing hands, window of opportunity