Mobile phones filthier than toilet seatSeptember 2nd, 2012 - 4:46 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 2 (IANS) Mobile phones are actually filthier than toilet seats because they are never cleaned even after being handled by different people, thus swarming with germs, say researchers.
Tests showed that up to 10 times the amount of pathogens which cause nausea and stomach upsets were present on a mobile phone than a toilet seat.
Charles Gerba, professor of microbiology at the University of Arizona, said during his ongoing experiments he has found that bugs get onto a phone because it is so close to our hands and mouths.
When somebody lets a friend or a stranger use their mobile their bacteria easily gets onto the device too.
Gerba added that because mobiles are electronic some people are reticent about cleaning. Since they are just not part of our cleaning routine. But they should be wiped with an antibacterial substance every now and then.
Previous research has found that other things we assume are clean are in reality rather disgusting, the Daily Mail reports.
British scientists discovered that cash machines have similar levels of pseudomonads and bacillus, bacteria which are known to cause sickness and diarrhoea, as they found in public toilets.
Computer keyboards are also five times dirtier than the average lavatory seat.
- ATM machines as 'dirty as public toilets' - Jan 11, 2011
- Beware, ATMs are as dirty as public toilets - Jan 12, 2011
- Eating lunch off toilet seats safer than office desk! - Jul 20, 2010
- Study says that Steering wheels are nine times dirtier than public toilet seats - Apr 28, 2011
- Lift buttons 40 times filthier than toilet seats - Sep 27, 2010
- Mobiles have 18 times more bacteria than toilet handle - Jul 28, 2010
- Dirty cars pose health risk: Study - Jun 19, 2010
- Your dirty laundry is dirtier than you think - May 29, 2010
- iPads and iPhones at Apple stores teeming with germs, says Oz expert - Oct 15, 2010
- More bugs in your car steering wheel than on the public toilet seat: Study - Apr 24, 2011
- Supermarket carts 'more toxic than public bathrooms' - Mar 09, 2011
- New Health Risk: Reusable Grocery Bags Breed Bacteria - Jul 06, 2010
- Computer keyboards are filthier than loo seats! - May 01, 2008
- Pet lovers have filthiest kitchen floors - Aug 03, 2010
- Elevator buttons '40 times dirtier than toilet seats' - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: bacillus bacteria, british scientists, charles gerba, cleaning routine, computer keyboards, daily mail, germs, lavatory seat, mail reports, mouths, nausea, pathogens, previous research, pseudomonads, public toilets, sickness and diarrhoea, stomach upsets, toilet seat, toilet seats, university of arizona