Minister inaugurates organ transplant unitJune 12th, 2010 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, June 12 (IANS) Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Ghulam Nabi Azad inaugurated the Organ Transplant Unit at Artemis Health Institute (AHI) in Gurgaon Saturday.
A two-day workshop on pelvic surgery was also inugurated by the minster on the occasion.
Kushagra Katariya, CEO and chief cardiothoracic surgeon, AHI said: “Organ transplantation is accepted by doctors worldwide as among the best routes to treatment and often the only one for a wide range of fatal medical complications like renal failure. It is counted as one of the greatest advances of modern science that has resulted in many patients getting a new lease of life.”
AHI has in the last few months conducted 10 successful transplants which include renal and corneal transplants.
“Every year 1.75 lakh patients of chronic kidney disease get added to the Indian population. Of the total number of these chronic patients, only 3 percent are able to undergo a transplant. The rest of the 97 percent either live with the help of dialysis or face premature death,” said Onkar S Kanwar, Chairman, Artemis Health Sciences (AHS).
Through organ donation, healthy parts and tissues from a brain dead person are transplanted into an ailing patient. Experts say that the organs from one donor can save or help as many as 50 people. The key organs that can be donated include kidneys, heart, liver, pancreas, intestines, lungs, bone and bone marrow, skin and cornea.
- PM, wife pledge to donate eyes - Sep 08, 2011
- 'Stiff penalties mooted for unethical practices in organ grafting' - Nov 27, 2010
- Family gets 1,150 pounds for heart 'donation' blunder - Jan 22, 2012
- Troubled by kidney ailments, Goa gets helpline - May 14, 2011
- Chronic kidney disease rising in India: Doctors - Mar 07, 2012
- Donated organs give new lives to five Chinese - May 24, 2012
- Kidney cells could help do away with transplants - Jul 28, 2011
- Save lives, become an organ donor (Nov 27 is World Organ Donation Day) - Nov 27, 2010
- Donor organs go waste in Britain - Feb 13, 2012
- 1,700 Chinese donate bodies for medical research - Mar 01, 2012
- New test detects kidney disorder early - Aug 06, 2011
- India faces acute shortage of dialysis units - Mar 04, 2011
- Chronic kidney disorders threaten India's diabetics (March 10 is World Kidney Day) - Mar 10, 2011
- Deshmukh died of cardiac failure: Doctor - Aug 14, 2012
- Hyderabad hospital performs rare kidney transplant - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: cardiothoracic surgeon, chronic kidney disease, chronic patients, corneal transplants, dead person, family welfare, ghulam nabi azad, indian population, kanwar, medical complications, modern science, onkar, organ donation, organ transplant, organ transplantation, pelvic surgery, premature death, renal failure, transplant unit, union minister