Migraine drug may help fight alcoholismNovember 14th, 2007 - 1:59 am ICT by admin
“Topiramate has emerged as a promising treatment for people with alcohol dependence,” Johnson said.
Johnson said that the effective medicine could be delivered with a brief intervention by non-specialists, which could help people combat alcoholism disease.
“One of our next steps is to directly study topiramate’s efficacy in treating alcoholics within community practice settings.” Johnson said.
In the 14 -week study 371 male and female alcoholics, who were drinking heavily at the time of entering the trial, were randomly selected to take topiramate, up to 300 mg/day, or placebo.
All of the participants had a weekly 15-minute intervention with a trained nurse to enhance their adherence to the medication and treatment regimen.
he analysis of the trial showed that topiramate lowered the percentage of heavy drinking days, the number of days in which men and women consumed 5 drinks per day and 4 drinks per day, respectively, divided by the number of study days by a mean of 8.44 percent more than placebo.
It was found that the topiramate group had a reduction from 82 percent to a mean of 44 percent heavy drinking days during the 14 weeks, whereas the placebo group had a reduction from 82 percent to a mean of 52 percent heavy drinking days.
The second analysis tested the study hypothesis for all the participants who took at least one study medication dose and had at least one double-blind site visit.
The analysis revealed that topiramate was more efficacious than placebo, as it lowered the percentage of heavy drinking days by a mean of 16.19 percent more than placebo.
The study is published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. (ANI)
- Genetically targeted medication shows promise in treating alcoholism - Jan 21, 2011
- Therapeutic medication topiramate may treat alcohol addiction - Jun 10, 2008
- Drugs combo 'yields up to nearly 10 pc weight loss' - Apr 11, 2011
- Popping a pill can help treat alcoholism - Dec 15, 2010
- 'Morning after' pill may help treat uterine fibroids - Jul 01, 2010
- Use of antidepressant linked to reduction in menopausal hot flashes - Jan 19, 2011
- Motivational interviewing for smoking cessation may not be best option - Dec 26, 2010
- Sustained drinking may lead to early stroke: New study - Sep 11, 2012
- Binge drinking? Blame it on your genes - Mar 01, 2011
- Use of nitrates increases bone strength: study - Feb 23, 2011
- LSD lowers relapse among alcoholics - Mar 09, 2012
- Heavy drinkers cut intake over time, but still drink more than average adult - Oct 31, 2010
- L-lysine alongside normal medication may benefit schizophrenia patients - Apr 18, 2011
- Alcohol addiction more likely among those it peps up - Apr 05, 2011
- Fish oil does not help with people with heart rhythm problem: Study - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: 300, alcohol dependence, alcoholism disease, drinks, efficacious, female alcoholics, fight alcoholism, m phil, medication dose, migraine drug, neurobehavioral sciences, participants, placebo group, practice settings, promising treatment, study medication, topiramate, trained nurse, uva department