MCI bill introduced in Rajya SabhaMay 9th, 2012 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 9 (IANS) The central government Wednesday introduced in the Rajya Sabha a bill to extend by another year the tenure of the board of governors of the Medical Council of India (MCI), two days after it was passed with difficulty in the lower house amidst opposition from ally Trinamool Congress.
The bill will further extend the tenure of the board of governors, which replaced the elected body of MCI in May 2010, following its president Ketan Desai being arrested in a graft case.
The opposition BJP, however, questioned the government for not having an elected body for the MCI, terming it the government’s attempt to dissolve the statutory body.
“For the last two years, the fate of the MCI is hanging and the government says it is waiting for the National Council for Human Resource in Health (NCHRH). Is it so that the MCI will not be needed after NCHRH is formed,” BJP member Maya Singh said while initiating discussion on the bill.
“The government is trying to control the MCI, to impose its own agenda and nominating its own members,” Singh alleged.
She also alleged that the present board of governors was not taking required action in several cases.
The passage of the MCI amendment bill was not so smooth in the Lok Sabha where ally TMC voted against the bill. The TMC has, however, assured that it will not oppose the bill in the upper house.
- Parliament passes MCI amendment bill - May 10, 2012
- Medical Council of India bill passed in Lok Sabha - Aug 20, 2010
- Ketan Desai's election to Gujarat University senate challenged - Mar 28, 2011
- BJP to move privilege notice against Azad (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Democratic norms violated in dissolving MCI: CPI-M - May 19, 2010
- Doctors' group calls for boycott of world medical meet - Oct 12, 2010
- States urged to adopt measure regulating private clinics - Mar 15, 2011
- PM backs health ministry on keeping medical education - May 24, 2010
- Young doctors unwilling to serve in rural areas: Azad - Aug 30, 2011
- Umbrella body to oversee medical education in India: Azad (Lead) - May 04, 2010
- President approves ordinance to dissolve MCI - May 15, 2010
- Medical Council president quits (Lead) - May 13, 2010
- MCI board of governors reconstituted - May 13, 2011
- MCI suspends Ketan Desai's medical licence - Oct 10, 2010
- Government to have a say in medical council - May 11, 2010
Tags: ally, amendment bill, board of governors, central government, congress, desai, fate, graft case, Health Science, human resource, Lok Sabha, medical council of india, medical council of india mci, New Delhi, opposition, rajya sabha, statutory body, tenure, tmc, upper house