MCD to promote mosquito-proof coolersDecember 3rd, 2010 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 3 (IANS) The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) Friday asked the city residents to use special mosquito-proof coolers (MPC) to keep dengue and chikungunya at bay.
The civic body is planning to publish advertisements to make people aware about these coolers which are environment friendly. The coolers were developed by the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) in 2007.
According to the MCD health department, 70 percent of mosquito breeding in the national capital has been found in coolers.
“As coolers are a favourite breeding spot of mosquitoes and the cause of increasing dengue cases in Delhi, using the MPC will help stop larvae breeding,” MCD health committee chairman V.K. Monga said.
MPC developed by the NCDC has a modified water tank that completely covers the water inside the cooler tank with a metallic sheet to prevent mosquitoes from entering and breeding. There is no need to sprinkle harmful chemicals in its water tank to stop mosquito breeding.
Over 20,000 cases of diseases caused by mosquitoes were reported this year with 82 deaths across the country. Among them over 6,000 dengue and 70 chikungunya cases were reported from Delhi.
- No takers for Delhi's mosquito-proof coolers - May 18, 2011
- Delhi reports year's first dengue case - Mar 21, 2011
- MCD suppressing chikungunya figures, say doctors - Nov 02, 2010
- First dengue death of 2011 reported in Delhi - Jul 23, 2011
- Mosquitoes breeding at 7 CWG sites, notices issued - Aug 10, 2010
- Dengue cases cross 500 mark in Delhi - Oct 20, 2011
- MCD plans online dengue, chikungunya reports - Dec 02, 2010
- MCD to launch anti-dengue drive - Jul 25, 2011
- Delhi steps up campaign against malaria, dengue - Apr 06, 2011
- 24 dengue cases in 24 hours in Delhi - Oct 24, 2011
- No need to panic on dengue: Health ministry (Lead) - Sep 10, 2010
- Prepared for monsoon: Delhi civic agency - Jun 02, 2011
- MCD appeals to Delhiites to help prevent dengue outbreak - Sep 08, 2010
- Civic body imparts dengue lessons to schools - Jun 24, 2011
- MCD seeks help to check dengue ahead of CWG - Aug 09, 2010
Tags: chikungunya, city residents, civic body, committee chairman, coolers, dengue cases, diseases caused by mosquitoes, harmful chemicals, health committee, health department, larvae, monga, mosquito, mosquito breeding, mosquito proof, mosquitoes, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, ncdc, water tank