Maternal, infant health index improves in India: UnicefSeptember 2nd, 2010 - 5:40 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 2 (IANS) There has been a significant improvement in maternal and child health indicators in the country with rise in institutional delivery and increase in immunisation, a Unicef survey released Thursday said.
The Coverage Evaluation Survey 2009 (CES-2009), a nationwide survey commissioned by United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef), was conducted November 2009-January 2010 across India.
According to the survey, ‘Janani Suraksha Yojana’ - the central government’s scheme for expecting mothers - has changed the scenario of institutional delivery in the country with 72.9 percent women giving birth in hospitals compared to 40.7 percent reported in National Family Health Survey (NFHS)-III in 2005-06.
“Safe delivery by skilled birth attendants has increased from 48.2 percent to 76 percent. There has been an increase in institutional deliveries in states with high maternity rates - Madhya Pradesh, Orissa, Bihar, Chhattisgarh and Uttar Pradesh,” the survey found.
The child health indicators have also shown improvement with the number of children breast fed within one hour increased from 24.5 percent in NFHS-III to 33.5 percent in CES 2009.
The survey shows a significant change in newborn care practices that are important in preventing infections and hypothermia and absence of these practices contribute substantially to Infant Mortality Rate.
- Asking women what they want: A step to improve maternal health - Aug 22, 2012
- Indian under-fives the most vulnerable in the world (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Shabana willing to bring MPs on board for maternal mortality - Nov 24, 2010
- When a rural health centre works, it works wonders (Feature) - Oct 20, 2011
- Nurse held for reporting false pregnancies, deliveries - Jul 27, 2011
- Half of Indian kids under five underweight: NGO - Feb 15, 2012
- Now, free condoms, contraceptives at your doorstep! - Jun 18, 2011
- Men deliver babies in Rajasthan, claims a health centre - Jul 23, 2011
- Odisha's health workers fight maternal deaths (Feature) - Mar 12, 2012
- Madhya Pradesh presents 'grim' picture of public health - Feb 23, 2010
- Violence against women: Madhya Pradesh cuts sorry figure (March 8 is International Women's Day) - Mar 08, 2010
- She braves bullets to bring healthcare to women (Feature) - Apr 16, 2012
- Private hospitals disqualified from birth scheme in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 18, 2010
- Janani Express at service of more women in Madhya Pradesh - May 13, 2010
- WHO report: Officials say India's maternal mortality has decreased - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: birth attendants, care practices, chhattisgarh, child health indicators, coverage evaluation, evaluation survey, expecting mothers, family health survey, fund unicef, health index, hypothermia, infant mortality rate, maternal and child health, maternal infant health, national family health survey, newborn care, safe delivery, unicef, unicef survey, women giving birth