‘Marital discord creates emotional problems in children’June 14th, 2012 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 14 (IANS) Marital discord between parents, especially during kindergarten years, is long lasting and can cause emotional problems during adolescence, a study says.
“The results further highlight the possibility that there will be persistent negative effects of children’s early experiences when there is conflict between their parents, at least when their emotional insecurity increases as a result of the conflict,” says E. Mark Cummings, professor of psychology at the Notre Dame University, who led the study.
Cummings and colleagues examined 235 primarily middle-class mothers, fathers, and children over seven years, focusing on the links between marital conflict when the children were in kindergarten, children’s emotional insecurity in the early school years, and subsequent problems when the children were teens, the journal Child Development reports.
Children’s emotional security is related to their sense of protection, safety, and security, and has implications for how they do socially and emotionally. Researchers observed parents discussing a topic they had identified as hard to handle, rating specific conflict behaviours. They also asked parents to report on their conflicts, according to a Notre Dame statement.
The study found that conflict between parents when their children are young predicted children’s emotional insecurity later in childhood, which, in turn, predicted adjustment problems in adolescence, including depression and anxiety.
- Divorced couples' kids lag in math, social skills - Jun 02, 2011
- Mothers' hostility turns toddlers volatile, defiant - Oct 28, 2011
- Warm parenting offers hope for callous, unemotional kids - Jul 25, 2012
- Faster growth during puberty triggers anxiety - Sep 02, 2011
- Confusion can be good for learning: Study - Jun 21, 2012
- Financial woes upset parent-child bond - Dec 08, 2011
- Positive parenting helps prevent obesity in kids - Feb 07, 2012
- 'Fathers responsive to kids have low testosterone' - Sep 10, 2012
- Overly shy kid is slow learner too - Aug 29, 2012
- Divorce not problematic, but its poor handling is - Jan 18, 2012
- Premature kids likely to face behavioural problems - Dec 06, 2011
- Late-talking toddlers do grow up normally - Jul 05, 2011
- Secure relationship leads to more satisfactory sex life - Jun 02, 2011
- Telling lies bad for health - Aug 08, 2012
- Child's death elevates risk of mom's demise - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: adolescence, anxiety, colleagues, conflicts, depression, e mark cummings, emotional insecurity, emotional problems, emotional security, fathers and children, journal child development, june 14, kindergarten children, marital conflict, marital discord, middle class, notre dame, notre dame university, safety and security, seven years